Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heyo, I hope I'm doing this correctly. Never really been a part of a forum.

My names Isaak and I recently purchased a 1982 celica supra L type in the "blood panda" color scheme. 182k miles on the 5mge, running strong mated to the w58 which is questionable when put into reverse.

I'm currently in AIT for the army national gaurd, graduated BCT in november. I'm newly 18 and from the Nebraska area, current plans for the beast are to restore the interior, repaint (original colors) and eventually swap in an N/A 2jzge.

supra 1.PNG
supra 3 snow.PNG
supra 2.PNG
dirty supra 4.PNG

·
Founding Member
6,461 Posts
Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Welcome young man!
First, this is a P type, as it has fender flares.
Second, seems like your seats have nicely been redone in leather or vinyl.
What is your concern about the reverse gear?
It does not have a synchro, so you need to be stationnary when trying to engage.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Welcome to the MKII Supra family. You will enjoy learning about the car and have come to the right place for information as there is lots of experience here. I have owned my '84 "P" type since 1987!

I believe the spoiler/sunshade was only on the "P" type as well.........I agree with Red that the the W58 is bulletproof and usually does not cause too much problem. My car went over 185K last year, and the trans is fine. Perhaps you need a clutch?

Same for the engine. This past Summer I replaced the timing belt and tensioner, water pump, and valve stem seals. It was the first time the valve covers had ever been off!

If the car was driven in the Winter you will very likely find rot underneath those fender flares, especially the rear ones, because salt, dirt, and moisture gets trapped between the flares and the steel body. You should make sure to sort it out and not let it get worse........

Congrats for joining the National Guard. The training will serve you well for the rest of your life, no matter what career you end up in. I spent 12 years in the Air Guard.

Good luck with your new baby!

Bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome young man!
First, this is a P type, as it has fender flares.
Second, seems like your seats have nicely been redone in leather or vinyl.
What is your concern about the reverse gear?
It does not have a synchro, so you need to be stationnary when trying to engage.
Ah I see, I wasn't aware that the L type didn't come with the fender flares. When I saw leather, I assumed L type as well as the lower capped spedo (85mph) although the seller was kind enough to include a 130mph capped with the sale. As for the reverse, it grinds when entering the gear 95% of the time. Even when deliberately slamming it to the right hard and then pulling back, it still doesn't seem to want to go in smoothly. Then again, I quite literally just learned manual on this car 2 weeks ago after I bought it. my friend drove it back 3 hours and the next morning I hopped in to drive. I've had other friends drive it and they've had the same issue, so I don't think its just me.

I'm already planning a swap sometime after my training period ends, but retaining the w58 depending on the engine I choose (2jzge or 3sge BEAMS) so it will potentially be rebuilt anyway. Although someone elses comment on needing a different clutch may hold some merit, as my clutch pedal is lighter than my gas pedal (which made learning all the more fun as you could assume) and can be spotty even when fully pressed down.

I appreciate how responsive everyones been straight away, despite me bein' a bit of a newbie (both in time on forum and age)

I look forward to sharing this 'dragons' journey with you guys, and coming to you guys with plenty of questions I'm sure

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the MKII Supra family. You will enjoy learning about the car and have come to the right place for information as there is lots of experience here. I have owned my '84 "P" type since 1987!

I believe the spoiler/sunshade was only on the "P" type as well.........I agree with Red that the the W58 is bulletproof and usually does not cause too much problem. My car went over 185K last year, and the trans is fine. Perhaps you need a clutch?

Same for the engine. This past Summer I replaced the timing belt and tensioner, water pump, and valve stem seals. It was the first time the valve covers had ever been off!

If the car was driven in the Winter you will very likely find rot underneath those fender flares, especially the rear ones, because salt, dirt, and moisture gets trapped between the flares and the steel body. You should make sure to sort it out and not let it get worse........

Congrats for joining the National Guard. The training will serve you well for the rest of your life, no matter what career you end up in. I spent 12 years in the Air Guard.

Good luck with your new baby!

Bob
Thank you for the reply! It's been a trip just researching this car let alone interacting with the community (a good one that is) I've heard exactly what you pointed out with the engine and especially transmission being reliable, they didn't use the w58 from '71 to '06 for nothing (I think those are the correct years). I'll have to have a buddy check the car at home where it's stored for that rot you're talking about. The car in all other aspects, even the underbody, seem to be very well taken care of. Was owned by an old man for most of its life, and since 1998 has only had 20k miles put on, with all service records preserved in the glove box since 1996, so I'm hopeful it won't be too bad.

As for the Guard, how was your time? I'm signed on as Signal Support, working with networks, radios and signal along with some cyber security mixed in. Hoping for a civilian job in that area, since full time military doesn't leave much time for project cars

once again, thank you (all) for being responsive right off the bat. I've heard good things about this forum, but I didn't know it would be so active right away when I joined

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Unfortunately, activity level is far from what it was 10 years ago.
Some did make a come back from before, but still, there is room for more action!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts