Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

my name is Antoine, I am 33 years old and live in Montreal, Canada.

Two years ago, I was looking for a project car. I've always wanted a GT weekend drive and fell in love with the MkII. I love the very 80's Japanese robot aesthetic of the car and its digital dash. Makes me think of the first Macintosh computers (SE).

I bought a 1985 P-type from a small car dealer and drove it home. Since, I have been slowly accumulating parts and tools and knowledge thanks to this forum.
I am in the process of building a carport to house the car. It should be done this year. Once sheltered, I will start working on it more seriously. Luckily, there is a paint shop not far away from my home.

Last year, as I could not stand the loud "muffler" installed by a previous owner, I swapped it for a beautifully sounding Raptor Racing Catback exhaust. I also started stripping the interior to get a better idea of rust damage. From what I saw on the internet, mines seems common (spare tire carrier and right rear frame).

Some pics:

Inside (at the dealer).

Back. With the new exhaust.

Front. Stuck in 3/4 gravel (slab subbase is not very compatible with a RWD).

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Welcome Antoine!
This is the best site for information about this car. The is loads of good info here.
I will contact you directly in French via "conversation", which is private message here.

I run some MK2 rides around Montreal if interested!

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Welcome to the site. It is good to have new enthusiasts as we could benefit from a larger critical mass.

I am relatively new to the Mk2 ownership too and after having my 1985 P type out in the San Diego sun for a year I finally got it into a nice garage and up on stands yesterday. The feeling of having it ensconced safely in a clean well light environment brings back the fantastical feelings I had as a younger man embarking on a mechanical and ascetic challenge with a cool car. Perhaps you will experience similar joy once it is in your carport.

David

·
Registered
343 Posts
Welcome to CelicaSupra.com. Car looks to be a good candidate for some TLC. One of the most difficult things to source is a dash cover, but yours looks perfect from the one photo of the interior. I think that when you remove the wheel well flares you will find some rust as dirt, salt, and moisture, gets trapped in between the plastic and the steel body. Good news is that it is not too difficult to repair as it not critical how it looks since it will be covered up by the flare anyway. Keep us posted on progress.

Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts