Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have bad diff whine in my 85 Supra, 4.30 LSD. I've just picked up inner and outer pinion bearings from my local Toyota dealership. Just from looking at the bearings, the new outer bearing seems to match up with the current one, however, the outer bearing is nowhere near the same. It has a larger inner diameter and is much thinner than the current one. It honestly looks more like its the carrier bearing instead. But I'm just beyond confused because Ive researched all over this site for the correct part number and even confirmed it with the dealership as well.

Inner: 90366-35023-77
Outer: 90366-30078-77

If anyone can help me out as to why the inner pinion bearing part number I ordered doesn't match up with the current one at all, I would appreciate it very much!
The photos below are showing the comparison of the current (thicker) and the new one ordered (thinner). I dont know if I messed up with my research or if you guys are just as confused as I am haha thanks

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just finished another MKII rebuild last week.

I use these numbers for rebuilds.
Carrier - 90368-50006 x 2
Pinion Front - 90366-30078-77
Pinion Rear - 90366-35023-77

Your pn's look right to me, should work.

But something is really throwing me off with the photo of the inner pinion bearing currently installed.

The appearance looks more like a MKIII inner bearing than a MKII. (Might just be a camera angle difference though)
If you read me the PN stamped into the race one the old one I can tell you.

Dimensionally they are not the same though.

Photo for reference: MKII bearing.

MKIII bearing.

Was the Toyota box sealed?
Read me the PN's stamped on the new bearings and I can cross reference to verify if the are right or not.
Something definitely looks wrong with the new bearing you are holding, if that's supposed to be inner.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

But something is really throwing me off with the photo of the inner pinion bearing currently installed.

The appearance looks more like a MKIII inner bearing than a MKII. (Might just be a camera angle difference though)

MKIII bearing.

Read me the PN's stamped on the new bearings and I can cross reference to verify if the are right or not.
Something definitely looks wrong with the new bearing you are holding, if that's supposed to be inner.

MKIII bearing.

That is very odd. No the box I got from Toyota was not sealed, just closed, it looks all worn out (but its also old old haha) but at the same time, the box is came in doesnt look big enough for a bearing as tall as the one in your mk2 pic.
NEW supposed "Inner Pinion" stamped PN reads 17831 on the race and 17887 on the bearing
Current reads TR0708-I-N on race (I cant see the bearing pn since its still on the shaft.

Could it be at all possible that they packaged the wrong bearing? Could it be possible that my pinion drive shaft is from something other than a mk2?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
99 Posts
It's wrong then.
17831/17887 is the carrier bearing.

TR0708-1-N is the correct inner pinion bearing PN.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's wrong then.
17831/17887 is the carrier bearing.

So the current bearing and race are actually correct? They just incorrectly packaged the bearing they sent me? Because I've checked and TR0708-I-N apparently lines up with the toyota part number on the box

·
Registered
99 Posts
Correct.

The actual part number on the NEW bearing cross refernces to the carrier bearing.

So it was either packaged wrong or something else is wrong.

I can't say I've ever seen any bearing from Toyota that that was packaged wrong.
So this is a first.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Correct.

The actual part number on the NEW bearing cross refernces to the carrier bearing.

So it was either packaged wrong or something else is wrong.

I can't say I've ever seen any bearing from Toyota that that was packaged wrong.
So this is a first.
Just my luck haha! I just measured the bearing and yeah, doesnt line up with the measurements on the box with the part number. As far as the outer bering goes, left is new, right is current.
new: TRA0607RYR
old: TRA0607Rr-N

They look the same and measurements looks the same as well. Did the pn first he new bearing just replace the old pn? If you happen to know

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
That's correct.
Those bearings are good.
Slight differences in the last few letters.
Otherwise good there.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's correct.
Those bearings are good.
Slight differences in the last few letters.
Otherwise good there.
Good to hear that at least one bearings right haha just got unlucky with the packaging with the inner I guess. I'll be in contact with the dealer today to get the right bearing sent in exchange. Thanks a lot for your help and confirming that I'm not just crazy ?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yeah that is really really unusual.
I can see something like this really confusing someone.
When you buy a part it's expected that it will be correct.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah that is really really unusual.
I can see something like this really confusing someone.
When you buy a part it's expected that it will be correct.
Just spoke to the local dealerships parts guy, he was just as confused and said its very rare, but it happens that parts are packaged incorrectly. So he ordered another inner pinion bearing by part number and now we're just hoping this one comes correctly and ill exchange it. Thanks for your help man, much appreciated

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

The new and correct bearing just came from Toyota, only took 2 days this time so I was impressed lmaoo
So as a final verdict, it was a packaging mistake. The original box I got was a side carrier bearing but with a inner pinion bearing part number sticker on it.

·
Super Moderator
10,488 Posts
Weird!

I've bought parts store parts with the wrong part in the box several times, but its usually because it was bought and returned and someone tried to pull a fast one and the clerk doing the return didn't pay attention (they rarely do).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Weird!

I've bought parts store parts with the wrong part in the box several times, but its usually because it was bought and returned and someone tried to pull a fast one and the clerk doing the return didn't pay attention (they rarely do).
Yeah this was definitely a rare situation haha really sent me for a loop cause this was the first part I purchased since buying the car so my first thought was that the previous owner did something to the diff. You kinda trust a dealership enough to think theyd have their inventory packaged correctly ? I'm glad it was nothing more than a packaging error lmao

1 - 19 of 19 Posts