Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't believe it for certain till I read it in the TSRM. But that it even recommends :?: ATF fluid over power steering fluid? After I replace the right door and fender, I'll be swapping out the rack & pinion steering assembly for a nice rebuilt one and am seeking the best fluid for it :shock:

So I go to the search forum and read some of you guys using synthetic ATF Dexron 2/3 over synthetic power steering fluid. I read one part where someone's using Redline power steering fluid and resulting in squeaks, but switching over to the Redline ATF and it stopped the squeaking completely :silenced:

I'm L :shock: OOKIN for the best fluid and would like to confirm w/you fellas that ATF fluid is BETTER.

And once you switch to ATF, don't you alway have to use ATF? Or Combo :?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Confused

Its just confusing to me that power steering fluid is not the best thing for the steering system :? Then they should ban that and have a new line of powersteering fluid, like an ATF version.

In the Chiltons manual it shows a bottle of power steering fluid but says ATF :x And the non-rack and pinion steering gear oil should be GL-4 hypoid gear oil--SAE 90.

I just want the best and figure most of you aren't using the ATF fluid and I felt this is a good topic to ask what are you using :idea:

·
Registered
540 Posts
Personally, I don't know what I'm using, but the whole thing with the different fluids probably just has something to do with the chemicals and whatnot in them. I know that Honda has their own power steering fluid and that using it in a non-Honda situation is a bad thing. It's probably just because atf has more preservatives and protectants than regular power steering fluid, but don't quote me on that as I do not know for sure. I'd personally just run what Toyota says to run, but that could just be me. Just my $0.02

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HONDA NO

Hey thanks for info CRASH :) I was wonderin if this was just a TOYOTA thing, maybe Toyotas PSFluid is made up of mostly ATF stuff.

HONDA has there own version, huh?

Maybe GM has there version too, w/might be best to use the actual POWER STEERING FLUID :idea: I say this since I always read FOR GM, BUICK an some other domestics in the back of the power steering fluid bottles.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Toyota recomemnds Dextron III for the A/T,and I use it there and for the PS so I only have to use 1 fluid for 2 applications.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Yes, Honda has its own power steering fluid. Another thing I just remembered, in the later 80's the manual transmissions took 5w30 motor oil. :shock: I realize Honda and Toyota are much much different, but there's weird sh*t out there like that, I think it's just to mess with people or something. :confused:

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
REDLINE ATF

Gosh, these fluids and chemicals in cars just seem endless :roll: I know this topic must be old and talked about before + boring. :sleeping:

But I never hear much on PSFluids and very :crazyeye: & curious about it.

So I'm goin REDLINE ATF. Thinkin even in my AE101. But I'll try in the MK2 first after the rack & pinion swap is done.

If anyone has any thoughts on this,>please feel free to talk openly on this topic :)

·
Registered
796 Posts
yes, atf is the only thing that works in both my soup and my truck. I tried flushing the truck's system (blew the pump, replaced with a new one last year) with Valvoline's synth p/s fluid. I thought this would be pretty good stuff-I was wrong!
It squealed and had problems turning my 33's even on wet concrete in my driveway! I actually called the company I bought the pump from to have a replacement sent out asap! The guy told me that I should run atf in it first, and when I did I found the thing to work perfect!!! I couldn't believe it...
Since then, I've replaced the Soup's oil with new atf and haven't heard a peep out of the pump!

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
This is an interesting subject! Many times I've found that a lot of new cars come straight from the factory with a clear or even slightly Amber colored power steering fluid, yet the service manual says to use ATF. I suspect that some automakers may have their own special brew for P/S fluid. I have also noticed that swapping the original factory P/S fluid for store bought stuff can sometimes lead to premature P/S system problems. Maybe the original P/S fluid is actually ATF without any red dye added. :confused: In fact, every new Toyota that has been in my family, including the 84 MKII, originally had something other than Red ATF in the P/S fluid resevoir. One of these days I hope to find out what lies behind this mystery. Any good Dexron/Mercon type ATF will generally work fine in most P/S systems and not cause any problems as long as the P/S system is in good mechanical condition. Personally, I use Amsoil synthetic Universal ATF and have had no problems. 8)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ATF story

Thats some great info Dave :!: Sounds like those synthetic ATF's are the best & the way to go. I thought this was a stupid, but very interesting thing to ask because of a small story behind all this:

One day soon after I get my first drivers liscense, I really had no clue about cars then and I accidentally put ATF fluid in the power steering because the steering was actin up and needed some fluid. I end up putting too much in this diesel Buick and the power steering wouldn't want to turn. So I drained some out and it works great afterwords.

I remember telling someone what I did and he said its ok, that it just needs it all the time now :? Ever since it remained a mystery to me. And seeing the ATF in the steering brought back some :idea: & :?:s

This clears it up alot on something so red :wink:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts