Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We've had a few folks ask us for these over the last little while so we decided to contact the manufacturer and set up an account. So far without even seeing the product we're thoroughly impressed by the level of service this company provides without even seeing $1; kudos to them.

If you’ve never seen them before the GoPro comes in a few configurations in both Normal and Wide Formats:
• Hero
• Helmet Hero
• Surf Hero
• Motorsport Hero

Since the majority of individuals on automotive related forums would be interested in the Motorsport Hero here is what GoPro has to say about it:

The Motorsports HERO Wide quick-release attaches to helmets, cars, motorcycles, boats, planes, etc. Features the industry's widest 170º wide angle lens and 5 megapixel sensor for the most immersive point of view video and photos possible from a wearable sports camera, period.

Sets up in seconds and is easily moved between different mount locations. Shoot 56 minutes of high-resolution video and 5 megapixel photos automatically in "Photo every 2 seconds" mode. Use as a hand held camera, too. Shockproof and waterproof to 100 feet/30 meters.

Based on the best selling original Motorsports HERO camera, the Motorsports HERO Wide features improved video, photo, audio, and low light performance. Reliability in ultra-high vibration environments has been improved with an entirely new internal circuit design. Battery life is improved to 3 hours of video record time when using Lithium batteries and 2 hours when using NiMH rechargeable batteries.

Five quick-release adhesive mounts and industrial strength suction cup are included. Suction cup is GoPro-approved for external high speed driving and riding, and is strong enough to pull dents out of a car door (unfortunately tested by GoPro). Adhesive mounts are removable but require purposeful removal by user. Safe on painted surface.

Additional expansion mounts available separately, including roll bar, handlebar/seatpost, chest harness, and surfboard mounts.

Contents of Motorsport Hero Wide:

Mounted on the Windshield:

Mounted in the front bumper:

Go to www.goprocamera.com to check out some of the video's...prepare to be wowed though...very impressive.

PRICING

Pricing is in USD.

Wide HERO - $139.99
Digital HERO 5 - $139.99
Surf HERO - $159.99
Helmet HERO WIDE - $189.99
Helmet HERO Expansion Kit - $69.99
Motorsports HERO – $179.99
Motorsports HERO WIDE - $199.99

Accessories -
Motorsports HERO Expansion Kit - $79.99
Roll Bar Mount - $29.99
Ride HERO - $19.99
Grab Bag - $19.99
Wrist HERO Expansion - $39.99
Quick Release HERO - $39.99
Suction Cup Mount - $29.99
Chest Mount Harness - $39.99

Please just keep in mind that until we build solid consistent sales it might take a couple of weeks to get something in stock.

General questions/comments can just be posted here, there is no need to email for that.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Can you use other cameras with their mount? I assume it is just a standard thread like other camera tripods?

·
Super Moderator
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you use other cameras with their mount? I assume it is just a standard thread like other camera tripods?
I haven't see one in my hands but just from some of the product pix if I was betting man I'd say no.

I will bring my 'samples' ;)

George, you better not ho out the price....I'm watching!!! ;-)

Mike (GoPro rep)
Don't you worry big boss man...sent you email

I'll bet you could have some fun with that at the NE spring meet!
That would be pretty [email protected] cruise with a bunch of peeps with GoPro's all mounted in different locations and then making a huge video out of it.

I'm very tempted to get one for the hillclimb season.
Joe...as the unofficial official Sponsor of Team Bartek I'd love to see one of these on the car. You know how to reach me!!

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
Any chance for a demo unit (would anyone else be interested)?

I wouldn't be adverse to a full deposit, and shipping from you to me, and from me to the next demo-person after a three-day trial if I'm not ready to hop on just yet... If I am real impressed, I'll just keep it and you keep the moolah.

...the high-end audio doods play it this way, and ends up with a whole darn community checking the equipment out first-hand, and all it costs you is the price difference between new and "demo" (~20%).

I could have it for the weekend of the FoodLion Auto Fair, 4th of april? ...maybe take the laptop with me and make some recordings on the way up, then show it off while we're chillin?

--BillyM

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
Unless someone wants to record the exact conditions I plan to record in, and upload it to me raw with zero compression (no myspace, no vimeo, no youtube), there is no way for me to know how it will fit my needs. I pass on gadgets that I can't try before I buy (who throws down a ring on the first date?) and this would be a neat way to rope in a number of prospective buyers.

...just an idea.

--billyM

·
Registered
429 Posts
:thumbsup: George,

I'm in for a Motorsports HERO Wide.

I think it will even work on my snowboard...all season applications!!!

That's me on your phone

Damian

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I'll message you within the week.. this is an amazing price. Local aftermarket shop JRP offers them for $260 IIRC. So amazing deal! Glad it can be in Canada too.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
George is there any kind of all inclusive or universal setup? I would be looking to strap it to the car, to my sled, to my sled helmet, to my downhill ski helmet, to my wake board helmet, to the wake board boat, lots of options.

I'm going to keep reading up on these things, seems like good setup they have.

·
Super Moderator
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gus;

there is no all encompassing kit; but the Motorsport Hero is a very versatile kit as it has a few adhesive mounts that you can be used on your sled. The curved adhesive mounts that comes with the Motorsport hero can be used on a helmet but you're best bet is to grab a:

GoPro Helmet Strap: $12.99 This works on vented helmets only

GoPro Heat Strap: $12.99 Typically worn w/out a helmet

But I'd say your best bet is the Motorsport Kit and a the Helmet Strap...seems to me it will cover 95% of the use you need. If you still need that extra 5% grab a bag of MISC Mounts for $19.99 and call it a day:

·
is awesome
2,736 Posts
Is there any way we can see a side by side comparison of the FOV (Field of View) inside and perhaps outside a vehicle? I'm planning on doing a lot of filming this year and am trying to figure out which camera to put where (and I've already got a miniDV cam w/ a .5 wide angle).

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
Fyi, George and I are working out the specifics on a demo unit. Those of you on the fence, who don't mind dropping ~$8-15 for shipping it to the next person, you can have this to test and play with for a few business days. You must be in the USA, you must have paypal with sufficient funds, and you must be able to test it fully within 3 business days and ship it out to the next person.

I look forward to it (plus we'll have TONS of cool test videos). I will start a new thread shortly, so keep an eye on this one.

--billyM

1 - 20 of 34 Posts