Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

61 - 80 of 105 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Added...Ideally I would have wanted 4 but I was able convince the shop to make a few of these as I need them to make me a few other products so adding a few of these to the list. Squish if you are 100% serious please send me a PM with what you're interested in and I will respond with a quote. IF you did want in this round I would need payment relatively soon. Chadrick I will email you tomorrow regarding totaling up your order and invoice.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Finally got around to installation!

Tried to get a video for the sound, but didnt turn out. It does sound louder than the stock muffler, but is not LOUD. It has a tone that I would call agressive.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hey Bros, my car is going in this week. I purchased an OBX and had it professionally ceramic coated black. I also had the O2 sensor relocated on Raptor Georges advice. According to George, the sensor is way too far away from exhaust path on OBX and Pacesetter stock header hence, the customization. I would have preferred a Raptor header but George's vendor was bending him over a barrel on minimum quantity. I feel for the specialty small guys. I purchased Raptors metallic cat back stealth system with black powder coated muffler. So, if I can "You Tube" it, I will post it and put up a link in a week. Dana

·
Super Moderator
7,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Bob;

thanks so much for posting pix and feedback on the sound! After looking at yours and Phil's pix I'm a little concerned at the position of the muffler...aesthetically speaking. I have a local customer (Ren69) who has purchased one of these and we will get it installed at the shop that designed and jigged this system. After we see what it's like on his car I'll see what sort of quick fixes we can put into place to clean up that look...i'm SUPER picky on how these things look and want to make sure they are up to my standards. Still not sure what the issue is, IF ANY at all but these are the headaches we have trying to develop parts for 30 year old + cars...not everything fits right every time on every car and sometimes the jig has to be tweaked after each production run to perfect the product. The prototype system fit perfectly onto Phil B's car and the jig was made using that system so there should be no issues whatsoever...I will have more news when Rene and I get his system installed.

Please stay tuned gents...

·
Registered
132 Posts
My baby's in the O.R. getting new OBX header, Raptor Stealth catback exhaust, T3 steering arms, Raptor "poly" rack bushings, Raptor braided brake lines, hopefully a new fuel filter (if they can get the GD nuts loose) and wheel alignment. Last Fall , I had to replace power steering pump and cam seals. It's a good thing I love this car so much. It bums me out though when a 2012 Camry blows by me!! I'd love to get down to Pa. for Spring meet. I'll cross my fingers!!

·
Registered
592 Posts
After looking at yours and Phil's pix I'm a little concerned at the position of the muffler...aesthetically speaking....

George,
As I scrolled through those photos, I thought exactly the same. Glad to see that you also noticed and commented on this.
To me, the muffler appears to be sticking out more than, for example, where my Raptor non-stealth cat-back system sits when I had it installed. (right now I have stock system on the car) IIRC I had/have your ceramic cat on the car and not the stock cat.

I have not yet installed my new Stealth system, and likely not to for another month or two.. (having diff rebuilt currently). I hope that I don't find that mine sits like 9Teen86's.

just my 2 cents, not saying anything is wrong at this point either..hard to be certain from just these photos.

Rick

·
Super Moderator
7,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Like I said Rick...we're going to be in the shop on Saturday installing one of these systems on Rene's car and come up with a plan. OBVIOUSLY this was not my intention, but building systems, downpipes and headers and talking to other company who build on a larger scale I've learned one important lesson: when building for older cars avoiding issues like this is VERY difficult. The muffler should be perfectly in line with the bottom end of the bumper and it doesn't appear to be doing that, lets get the car in the shop so I can see it for myself and we'll go from there.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Stay tuned gents - I will post up some pictures on Friday of my end result. The rear pipe section has to be cut to allow the muffler to recess. I don't think there is a wrong or right to this - I've seen plenty of whips with mufflers/tips that stick out. I'm hoping to go for a more stockish look with the tips actually behind the bumper edge.

Friady....stay tuned.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I agree with Phil. I sent my mechanic the photos from above. My mechanic is doing install right now. He emailed back while I was on business trip. He will have to cut the pipe. D

·
Super Moderator
7,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Well I hope that's all it is as that's a quick fix and easy for most anyone and any shop to do. Again gents I DO apologize for this, growing pains of a new product but we'll have it fixed so future runs will take this into account. As I said I will make sure with Rene's car; we'll take all the proper measurements and fix the jig accordingly. Sit tight, thanks again for your patience, support and understanding. It's a LOT easier to decide to make a new product when you know that if there are minor issue people won't freak out while you figure things out.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
As promised....here is my stealth story.

First 3 pics taken by mechanic w/cell phone - install as the kit came out of the box:

For me it hung too low and stuck out too far. Mechanic then cut off about 2 inches of rear pipe to have it recessed - here are the afters:

Better but still not to my liking. I took it to the muffler shop that did my last exhaust system to see if they could get it tucked up better - which they did:

Looks better but after consulting with George and Greg - it would probably be even better if tucked back further. This morning the muffler shop cut an addtional 2 inches of pipe length and here is how it looks now:

So that's how it sits now and I'm pretty happy with it overall.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Looking good! Hanging pretty decent there... not too low. I hope mine sits like this.

·
Registered
592 Posts
So that's how it sits now and I'm pretty happy with it overall.
Phil, and what cat do you have installed?

total length cut was 4 inches?

I'm not going to rush out and cut 4 inches off mine at this time, but I just want to be clear on what you had to do. I expect that the amount to cut, if any, will likely be different for each car and for each person's tastes.

Rick

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Rick - I purchased the 12'' ceramic cat from George with the system. I need to confirm with the first mechanic Monday but I believe it was about 2 inches and today another 2 inches. Obviously you don't want to hack 4 inches off right away before measuring everything up. You are right; 2 to 3 inches may do the trick. I could not push the muffler back any further without removing and rewelding the muffler hangar which I did not want to do.

I'm also curious as to if the test car had a header on it which maybe does not extend as far down as the stock downpipe; maybe that is why the system is a bit long?

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Interesting. I will post some pics of mine. I know its a 3inch exhaust but pretty close to this new 2.5 George is making.
I am sticking with stock headers/downpipe.

·
Super Moderator
7,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
As promised....here is my stealth story.
Phil thanks for sharing this info; I'm so far VERY relieved at how quick the fix was. Rene and I will be confirming this tomorrow and if so it will be VERY easy to fix the jib for future runs.

Looking good! Hanging pretty decent there... not too low. I hope mine sits like this.
Yours is TOTALLY different, first off its a 3" system...secondly made with a different jig with a totally different company. You are not going to have any of these issues, keep in mind that depending on what muffler you chose you man have to modify the end of the axle pipe.

Phil, and what cat do you have installed?

total length cut was 4 inches?

I'm not going to rush out and cut 4 inches off mine at this time, but I just want to be clear on what you had to do. I expect that the amount to cut, if any, will likely be different for each car and for each person's tastes.

Rick
Rick...will document this fully tomorrow with picture.

I'm also curious as to if the test car had a header on it which maybe does not extend as far down as the stock downpipe; maybe that is why the system is a bit long?
Phil...the prototype car had a raptor racing header but this would not have changed anything. Prior to installing the protype system the test car had a raptor racing catback and the muffler with both systems was 100% in the right spot. Believe me when I say I'm an anal SOB when it comes to this stuff and before spending thousands on a new jig this stuff is all checked and re-checked. What went wrong this time around is something I'm not sure of...but if you've done this long enough you realize that crap happens. As a vendor we just have to deal with them with as little disruption and BS to the customers and make sure they are happy with the solution. As I said before my goal was to make this 100% bolt in so I do apologize in advance gents!!

Interesting. I will post some pics of mine. I know its a 3inch exhaust but pretty close to this new 2.5 George is making.
I am sticking with stock headers/downpipe.
If you do post pictures PLEASE don't post them in this thread, as I said your system is TOTALLY different in more way than one from the stealth system and I don't want people seeing our pictures and think it's a stealth exhaust.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I hear you George, it usually takes a couple runs to work the bugs out developing a new product.

I'm def. interested in hearing from those guys who've run a regular 2.5" Raptor exhaust and now have the stealth system...what's their take on the difference in exhaust note? The numbers show approx. 15% quieter, but how does it compare in quality of sound?

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Ya will do. Sorry George I know different set ups.

61 - 80 of 105 Posts