Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Trim (not mine)

46K views 250 replies 57 participants last post by  Jeremy R. 
#1 · (Edited)
Folks,

I felt that some explanation was in order as to why I edited my thread a few weeks back. My experience with BILLY_GTS (Billy Constantine) on this project has left me with a rotten taste in my mouth and regrets for wasting countless hours of my time and energy supporting it. I won't turn this into a shit fling, but I have chosen to detach myself from it completely, now that I have obtained possession of my trim again through the help of a fellow member here when he refused to return it to me after numerous requests.
I want to make it crystal clear that I will take no responsibility for any monies that change hands and will have nothing further to do with him again in any capacity, nor will I vouch for him as a seller or anything that he produces. I also won't respond to any comments from him in this forum.
If you would like further information about what transpired, feel free to PM me.

Cheers to all.

#2 ·
People, let’s get this done. Your metal core moldings will rot eventually! I’m in for 2 sets.

Reactions: 1982 Dragon
#4 ·
On my phone I don't see the date of this post. Is this a new post? If so, count me in. My son stepped out of the passenger side and crushed the rust core door sill outer trim piece. Sorry. I cant remember what it is called. Those would be nice to replace as well.

#11 ·
These are all the belt moldings, 10 pcs total. I don't know which other molding you are referring to. A pic would help. The rocker molding is currently available in FG, check the FB group for that link.
I don't have access to my old CDs right now, but as I recall, Toyota called the weatherstrip/trim at the top of the doors and under the quarter windows (4 pieces) the belt moldings (which didn't sound logical but maybe lost something in translation) and the stuff we're talking about here were simply called "body side moldings" as in the thread title.

Reactions: Darrow
#174 ·
#8 ·
Reactions: '82supra and ddd228
#13 ·
me too and agreed, at around $1000, make this kinda out of my budget..

will

#12 ·
The 'Belt Molding' is at the top of the door and just below the quarter windows.
What you are showing is 'Side Molding'.
Your thread title is correct but you made a statement that these are the 'Belt Moldings' a couple of posts up. Just wanted to clear up any confusion. If you look at the 'exploded view of parts' link in my sig it will show the differences in names and all that. Toyota calls things differently.

#14 ·
Theses were from 50$ (small front) up to 175$ (door) many years ago.
Now unobtainable from Toyota. So for all the 10 pieces, that is about what it cost for, 15 years ago.
For those that know Phil, and seen recent work of art from Billy, no doubt these will be as good, if not better than what was available then.

#15 ·
So to make sure that I understand, you are referring to the following Toyota parts.

Not a perfect diagram, but the best I could find for now.

Dale

Reactions: ddd228
#16 ·
Are your estimated prices in Canadian or US Dollars?
If these are Canadian Dollars, for you American members, the price would be a great deal. Today, the exchange rate is 0.73 USD to 1.00 Canadian Dollar so you would get 25% off.

I agree when the above posters. These parts have not been available for a long time and no matter how immaculate your restoration is, the side mouldings are going to be wavy because of the rusty metal inserts. Unless your car spent it's entire life under cover, the back side of the mouldings is going to be scary bad!

Just to confirm, you plan on making the 82-83 parts available as well?

Dale

#18 ·
If these are Canadian Dollars, for you American members, the price would be a great deal. Today, the exchange rate is 0.73 USD to 1.00 Canadian Dollar so you would get 25% off.

I agree when the above posters. These parts have not been available for a long time and no matter how immaculate your restoration is, the side mouldings are going to be wavy because of the rusty metal inserts. Unless your car spent it's entire life under cover, the back side of the mouldings is going to be scary bad!
These will most likely appeal to the owners who are planning a full repaint. If you're going to spend $5,000-$8,000 on body work and a decent paint job, the old trim is going to be so obvious and let down the whole restoration. I see it at car shows every weekend, classic cars with fresh paint but pitted chrome and dull and dented stainless because its so expensive. I recently finished an old Corvette and paid a guy $900 to polish the trim rings and the stainless t-top trim and that was a bargain. Be grateful that you're not restoring an old Cadillac.

Supra may be a cheap car, but restoration ain't a cheap hobby no matter what car you're doing. Its like they warn newbies on the Jaguar forum. An XJ6 may have depreciated really fast and you can buy it for a song, but the parts in the warehouse didn't depreciate and are still priced as if they are going on a brand new high-end luxury car. If you want it to look and drive like a new car, you're going to have spend like its a new car.

So everyone, you've been working from home for months, not going out to eat or anything, saving money from the COVID restrictions. Just keep doing that for a few more months and put your money in a piggy bank till you can afford these new trim pieces. You know that three, five, ten years from now when you're ready to paint, that you're going to kick yourself if you didn't buy these while you had the chance.

#17 ·
So when is the final amount due? So many of these group buys here are two weeks notice for some expensive thing. I've got a set of OEM ones, but would be interested if they fit good and are out a few months so I can plan for them. Right now I've got several grand worth of stuff at the machine shop getting made.

#19 ·
The mk2 has never been a cheap car to restore. Even 20 years ago it was pretty routine for people doing a paint job to hit up the dealer and drop $2k+ on new side mouldings, flare trim, double wing seals and rocker mouldings. When we painted DeanFun's 85 back in 2014, Dean bought up as much as he could, we managed to put all new side mouldings on his car but even then several were sold out and we had to get longer versions of some pieces and cut them down. And he also got the last part in stock in the US on several pieces as I recall.

This is awesome you guys are doing this, I've been talking to Bill about how I planned on getting this done myself. Its been on mine and George's hit list for years. I have a complete set of the 2nd gen Toyota stuff so we were going to get BC rubber to make an extrusion and then make moulds of all the unique end caps. Likely we would have ended up with a similar situation as with the double wing spoiler kit, where the cost would be very reasonable, but there would have been a lot of onus on the buyer to fully assemble and trim it well to get a really good final fit. Which has its ups and downs of course.

Can you guys work it so that this stuff can continue to be in production into the future? Maybe figure something out with George. One off buys are great for some things, but with repro stuff it only fills a void temporarily. Myself I'm on the fence as I mentioned I have a set stashed and my funds are a little preoccupied this year, but it certainly would be wise to stash another set.

#21 ·
supraz said:
Have to be un US. Even if they are both 🇨🇦, they are aiming worldwide. And I never saw a GB in Cdn$.
In the fb post, he does state that 82/83 kits will be also be available (side marker). Celica kits will also be availble.

#27 ·
Hey guys - please bear with me, as the demand is overwhelming, and I'm still in the planning stage here. TOns of messages coming in already. I'm asking for a $100 deposit commitment based oin the projected cost, and if it goes over that for some reason, the option to back out will be available. However, I suspect the price will actually come down, and that's based on the response thus far. If all those who have expressed interest actually confirm with a deposit, this will move forward very quickly. I'll have more info very soon, but feel free to touch base at celicasupramoldings at gto dot net
I'm in for a 85 p set depending on time line, hoping to take mine in for paint by late July!

#31 ·
The oem gen 2 stuff had nothing for alignment. They are actually a little tricky to align correctly, especially if you are replacing the entire set at once. The way I do it is with painters tape. I use a piece of original trim to figure out where they are supposed to be, take measurements of how high off the body line they sit and how close they get to end edges of the panels, then place pieces of tape on each panel measured at that line, then connect the pieces with a single line of tape pulled tight. You place the tape under where the trim would go, so it's just touching when you place the new piece. You needed the alignment tape for the gen2 stuff anyways on the doors as it actually could flex vertically a little. Those actually had steel strips in them, but they still could deform on long runs.

#32 ·
Next question I think is whether to weld up the original holes or not? I'm leaning toward welding up the holes since I will be doing a full re-spray (I'll have a professional do it since I can barely stick two pieces of angle iron together), but what to do if one is just replacing the trim?

Reactions: 1982 Dragon
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.