Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

Registered
supraz said:
Are your estimated prices in Canadian or US Dollars?
Have to be un US. Even if they are both 馃嚚馃嚘, they are aiming worldwide. And I never saw a GB in Cdn$.
In the fb post, he does state that 82/83 kits will be also be available (side marker). Celica kits will also be availble.

Registered
Discussion Starter #23
Hey guys - please bear with me, as the demand is overwhelming, and I'm still in the planning stage here. TOns of messages coming in already. I'm asking for a $100 deposit commitment based oin the projected cost, and if it goes over that for some reason, the option to back out will be available. However, I suspect the price will actually come down, and that's based on the response thus far. If all those who have expressed interest actually confirm with a deposit, this will move forward very quickly. I'll have more info very soon, but feel free to touch base at celicasupramoldings at gto dot net

Registered
I'm in.

Registered
Hey guys - please bear with me, as the demand is overwhelming, and I'm still in the planning stage here. TOns of messages coming in already. I'm asking for a $100 deposit commitment based oin the projected cost, and if it goes over that for some reason, the option to back out will be available. However, I suspect the price will actually come down, and that's based on the response thus far. If all those who have expressed interest actually confirm with a deposit, this will move forward very quickly. I'll have more info very soon, but feel free to touch base at celicasupramoldings at gto dot net
I'm in for a 85 p set depending on time line, hoping to take mine in for paint by late July!

Registered
Did the solid replacement side moldings from Toyota have "nubs" on the back side of the trim that fit into the holes in the body to align the trim? Or were you just aligning them by sight. Second, will the reproduction moulding have nubs on the back side for alignment?

Super Moderator
The oem gen 2 stuff had nothing for alignment. They are actually a little tricky to align correctly, especially if you are replacing the entire set at once. The way I do it is with painters tape. I use a piece of original trim to figure out where they are supposed to be, take measurements of how high off the body line they sit and how close they get to end edges of the panels, then place pieces of tape on each panel measured at that line, then connect the pieces with a single line of tape pulled tight. You place the tape under where the trim would go, so it's just touching when you place the new piece. You needed the alignment tape for the gen2 stuff anyways on the doors as it actually could flex vertically a little. Those actually had steel strips in them, but they still could deform on long runs.

Founding Member
The oem gen 2 stuff had nothing for alignment. They are actually a little tricky to align correctly, especially if you are replacing the entire set at once. The way I do it is with painters tape. I use a piece of original trim to figure out where they are supposed to be, take measurements of how high off the body line they sit and how close they get to end edges of the panels, then place pieces of tape on each panel measured at that line, then connect the pieces with a single line of tape pulled tight. You place the tape under where the trim would go, so it's just touching when you place the new piece. You needed the alignment tape for the gen2 stuff anyways on the doors as it actually could flex vertically a little. Those actually had steel strips in them, but they still could deform on long runs.
Next question I think is whether to weld up the original holes or not? I'm leaning toward welding up the holes since I will be doing a full re-spray (I'll have a professional do it since I can barely stick two pieces of angle iron together), but what to do if one is just replacing the trim?

Reactions: 1982 Dragon

Registered
Next question I think is whether to weld up the original holes or not? I'm leaning toward welding up the holes since I will be doing a full re-spray (I'll have a professional do it since I can barely stick two pieces of angle iron together), but what to do if one is just replacing the trim?
My thoughts exactly.

Super Moderator
Welding them up is always my preference, but only do it if you are doing paint at the same time. There are a couple that are challenging to do however. Like the ones at either ends of the doors. Access to the insides of the panels in those locations is rough. I would never recommend adding welding something up if you can't access the inside of the panel to brush off the inside of the weld, and then prime and paint it properly to stop it from rusting out. As I recall, I was able to do that on those holes, but the access was tough. In cases where you are not painting, just cut little squares of 3m electrical tape and cover up each one. Use gloves and don't touch the tape with your hand. If its a quality brand like 3M, it will last a really long time. Since they get covered, the UVs won't kill them, and it will ensure water can't get into the panel. Though generally its not possible anyways with a full strip of double side tape on the top and bottom of the impact strips.

Premium Member
I am very interested in the molding so I am in for sure! I am restoring a 1984 which is 2 weeks away from being finished with paint and body. We did an engine swap with a 1JZ mated with a new 6 speed 350Z transmission. Replacing the interior with full leather, Replaced door handles with Kindig design door handles and other mild modifications. I have had two Supras before but decided to buy one and restore it my way. Would love to chat.....Doug

Super Moderator
Did anyone ever get any answers or is this a big tease?

Registered
When there was still a bit of snow on the ground...I was one of the first to try & supply Billy with a set to use as Masters... he even took one off a licenced car, LOL...

So I've been interested from the get go...... but purchasing right now... not even on the Radar screen ...as far as having the $$ for Aesthetic stuff... still have to focus on Function/practical stuff for at least a couple of years... but fervently hoping that the Project goes ahead... so that there WILL be ones I can buy... once I've actually got the Cash...

BTW Billy... did you looking into reproducing the Nylon (??) Sockets for the Wiper Arm Linkage... minor part... but also un-obtainium... even as used... so (esp due to a lot less involved I'm thinking...would be worthwhile ??

Cheers,

Reactions: 1982 Dragon and AJ
21 - 40 of 50 Posts