Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

New shop MIG

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  karrloh5 
#1 ·
Our super old Millermatic we keep in the shed (not enclosed or climate controlled) bit it today, most likely a control board issue, so we're looking to replace the welder.

I've actually heard decent things about Everlast, which is surpising to me, so we're looking at a Millermatic 211 or an Everlast PowerMIG as my dad likes that the powerMIG can do DC stick welding at an amperage that matches our shed circuit.

Was wondering if anyone on here had suggestions or input? Thanks!

#2 ·
I'm pretty happy with my Harbor Freight orange TIG machine I'd suggest looking at those. Nice thing is they are mostly similar to a Miller so there are upgrades you can do to them.

Reactions: ddd228
#3 ·
You can always get yours repaired, any local welding shop can do it. Miller is really good about standing behind products and keeping parts made for years.

I've got a multiprocess ESAB unit i've been really loving, but it is honestly overkill for most stuff.

#6 ·
Cool! Yeah as I recall that old unit of yours wasn't infinitely adjustable and/or didn't use gas. You should get much better quality welds now!

Parts supply is key when buying a new Mig for sure, skip the fly by nights, they won't be there in 20 years when you need a new motor or feed line, etc. Plus you want to be able to get tips and nozzels off the shelf whenever you need them.

#10 ·
I haven't gotten to mess around with it yet, and it will be a while, but it does have infinitely variable power as well as a setting called "Arc Force Control" which apparently varies inductance in the machine so you can mimic other set ups you're used to as well as change working wire length and some impact on width profile of the bead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.