Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post from the owner of a '85 celica supra:

Okay, I did a once over on the board and saw that there are a couple of threads about this kinda thing already, but I was just wondering about everyone's $.02 in relation to me :wink:

The stock radio/cassette/eq was removed yesterday (by me) to be cleaned 'cause it wasn't working for s***. However, while I put the dash back together so I could drive it while it was cleaned, my dad took the radio and tried to fix it himself. He managed to strip out half the screws on the brackets :roll:. So yeah, even IF I drill out the screws so I can have the brackets, does anybody know what kind of screws it is I would need to replace them? 'Cause they will all be destroyed if I drill them out...

Second, any suggestions for a replacement radio/cd player? I don't need a 6-cd changer or anything super expensive, just something that is functional and sounds good. I also am not at all interested in whether or not it plays .mp3's. But if there are any particularly good deals that include stuff I'm not terribly interested, I'm not sure I will turn it down :).

Lastly, what kind of speakers do you suggest to replace the stock ones? I have NO interest in getting subs, none at all... okay, I lied. If there is some way I could find one to replace the stock sub and get it to work, that would be nice, but I really do not want to spend s*** load of money, I am poor and still have to replace the body on the front end from an accident.

oh, pics of the car (since nobody's seen it ???):

has 85.4k miles on it and was in an accident in.... September, which you can't see here, but the front right of it (up to the rear view mirror) went under a pick up at 20-15 mph. It was big time irony, but I don't want to explain it right now :)

·
Premium Member
7,510 Posts
Welcome to the list!!

Most new AM/FM/CD players come with new screws that will fit the factory stereo bracket.

I am currently using a Pioneer DEH-P2000 AM/FM/CD with a Pioneer CDS-P5000 CD player on top. Both of these units are not made any longer by Pioneer but you should be able to find online. eBay has lots of listings for these units including models below.

The Pioneer units DEH-P2000, P3000, P4000, P200, P300 and P400 need to be installed on the bottom of the factory bracket and use an add CD player on top or a radio pocket available from most online Stereo supplers ie
www.Crutchfields.com

Most aftermarket radios will need a factory adapter wiring harness price $10+/- so you dont have to cut off the factory wiring harness.

I would also recommend the Kenwood low end AM/FM/CD non-removable face unit as well. I put one in my sis in laws 87 Nissan Pulsar and she loves it!! Priced +/- $125

publiuspost said:
First post from the owner of a '85 celica supra:

The stock radio/cassette/eq was removed yesterday (by me) to be cleaned 'cause it wasn't working for s***. However, while I put the dash back together so I could drive it while it was cleaned, my dad took the radio and tried to fix it himself. He managed to strip out half the screws on the brackets :roll:. So yeah, even IF I drill out the screws so I can have the brackets, does anybody know what kind of screws it is I would need to replace them? 'Cause they will all be destroyed if I drill them out...

Second, any suggestions for a replacement radio/cd player? I don't need a 6-cd changer or anything super expensive, just something that is functional and sounds good. I also am not at all interested in whether or not it plays .mp3's. But if there are any particularly good deals that include stuff I'm not terribly interested, I'm not sure I will turn it down :).
quote]

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
heh, well, there are tons of stereos out there that will do what you want, so im gonna suggest anything in the clarion, alpine, or jvc product lines that you deem affordable.

as for speakers, im a real fan of alpine and clarion.
both have a fair range of models, but in the front you want 3" speakers, and to fit the rear 5.25" round, or 5x7" oval speakers fit.

and if you want a sub, your going to have to start looking at amps and separate boxes, there isnt really anything commercially avaliable (that i know of) that will directly replace the factory unit.

i second the suggestion of using an aftermarket wiring harness, metra is a good brand that has never given me problems, and is avaliable in most any decent stereo shop.
the factory screws are M8 size, and about 5mm long, if memory serves.

oh yeah, welcome to the boards, nice lookin pics, too bad about the accident.

·
Registered
302 Posts
You can't just replace the factory sub under the dash - the factory radio is a five channel so it could power the 4 spekers plus the 6" under the dash. Aftermarket decks are 4 channel.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
you don't have to spend s*** loads of money to get good sound of your system, all you have to do is look around for example i have a 600 dollar system which is not that expensive.

My system includes, 2 12in DHD 2000 watts max each woofers with box, 2 pioneer premier 6*9s 250 watts max each with custom box, a 800 watt 4 channel amp, a capacitor, and 2 3.5 inc boston acustics speakers,

notice that my stuff isn't brand name except for the 6*9s, i go for performance not brand name, some of my friends have 1k+ systems and my shit sound better then theirs my bass is louder etc, but they have brand name woofers, speakers, amps, tweeters etc, which are very expensive, and they get mad cuz my not brand name stuff beats theirs,

you just have to look around for good prices, even better if you have friends that can hook you up,

if you dont wanna spend lots of money you can buy a 200 watt amp and hook it up to your rear speakers, make sure you get some nice 5*7 so with the amp the sound will be crisp and loud

sorry if its too long

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, thanks guys.

Looks like it is as I feared, I'm actually gonna have to do some work :shock: :D

.edit.

Okay, I have 2 more questions...

a) do any of you guys have expereince with Clarion cd recievers? I was looking at thezeb.com and they have some really low priced stuff/slashed prices or wahtever.

b) what kind of wattage should I be looking for in these recievers if I end up putting in an aftermarket stereo with no amp/subs (which is probably what will happen)? The ones around the $200 price range seem to hover around 50x4 max, and for some reason RMS seems to be kept a secret...

anywho, thanks in advance :D

.edit2.

OH, I forgot :eek:

In my room I got a stereo with infinity speakers, and I lub 'em. How are the infinity car speakers?

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
i like clarion... im running a fairly high end unit, but i love it, the dxz835mp...plays mp3, windows media, burned cds...the other clarions ive used were good, just not as feature filled, if you get a new unit (make sure its not refurbished, unless your willin to take a chance) im sure you will be happy with its performance, one small thing though, in cold weather, they can have a hard time gripping cold cds, because they use edge rollers on only touch the very edge of the cd, and it can be slippery.
but thats minor... just give the disc a lil caress and itll continue to feed. i had a similar problem with my alpine cda 7892, except it would pull the disc inside the unit, and fail to load, then you have to get pilers and GENTLY extract the cd.

most recievers are going to be rated in the 35-50 watt per channel range, and they usually put out about 12-21 watts, rms @ 0.1% distortion.
you can get more power out of them, but distortion will destroy your speakers loooong before overpowering them will do any damage.
if you get decent speakers, you should be able to get good clear sound and some bass without needing a sub.

infinity speakers... love em, or love to hate em.
i find for the price i can get better performance, but they do sound good.
id suggest demoing a set, then demo some mb quarts...theyre in the same price range, and i imagine youll like the quarts a bit better, and yes, the quarts can be pricy, but they also have a budget line that sounds damn good, i think they call them the discus series, havent checked into it lately. nakamichi is also good, just a touch more expensive.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went to circuit city today and listened to the 3.5 in. infinity references... and they seemed awful quiet before distortion set in... was the distortion from the cd player or was that just them?

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
hmm, thats not good, id suggest going to a higher end shop, even if only to use the top model decks for demoing speakers.

i just got home from doing some shopping today, listened to mb quart, focal, nakamichi, boston, and some rockford fosgate.

all very nice... the RFs were comparible with alpine and clarion, but the focals, mb quart, and boston were quite a bit nicer.
however the nakamichi stuff just blew them all away... sooo clear, but $500canadian for 5.25 components, and that was after the "friend price", they list at about 700 a pair otherwise.

also, boston makes some really nice 3" speakers for around 100 bucks canadian, very very decent price for the performance.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
yes, you can use 5.25" in the rear, some people have reported having a hard time fitting 5x7", but i know both the 5x7 and 5.25s fit perfectly for me.

usually you will want to get an adaptor plate, they sell them at some good stereo shops, or you can make one from 1/4" plywood, and cut/drill the holes to mount the 5.25" speaker.
then it will screw into the bracket as usual, and hold the speaker securely.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
does one sound better than the other? What's the differences between a component and a whatever?

You guys need a "faq" section or something to explain all of this to us newbs : :shock: :D

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
well, there are tons of stereo sites which have the time and space to explain it infinitely better than celicasupra.com would be able to.

basically, components will sound better than coaxials, and round speakers generally produce less sound than oval speakers, due to reduced cone area, and reduced ablility to move air/sound.

ill try to remember a good stereo site for introductory info, there are tons out there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts