Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello chums, I recently purchased an '84 Supra. Everything looked like it was good condition, and I got the thumbs up from a mechanic nearby. Within the month, it would randomly start seizing the brakes and leave me stranded. I took it to a better mechanic and they're telling me I need to have the proportioning valve replaced. I shouldn't be so shocked considering the age, but I'm having a hard time finding the valve. Does anybody know of a place to go to find such a part?

Also, I think I found one on ebay, but I'm not really sure how to go about telling if this one is in good condition or not. The pictures also aren't great... but if you could help me figure if it's worth grabbing, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, I didn't think anybody would to try diagnose the issue over the net with my shoddy explanation. Thanks. So, I don't need this part after all? Also, would you consider replacing brake lines yourself hard? I'm pretty certain only the passenger side seizes up.

·
Registered
7,388 Posts
Yes, very often the inner protection of the flexible line cracks, and then the brake fluid makes the rubber becoming bigger, which restricts the oil flow inside. Braking is not an issue, but the pressure remains trapped at the caliper, as it does not have enough force to push the oil back... brakes stay engaged... .

·
Registered
610 Posts
Remove the hoses and rebuild calipers. Flush out hard lines. Might as well put in a new master cylinder too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts