Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Toyota Supra MKII
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Names Livie and i am the new owner to a MK2 Celica Supra. Always been inlove with the A70 and A80 supras since i was a kid, but never really wanted anything newer then the old Celica Supra (because of the 80s vaporware vibe), Ive never owned a Toyota before today and hope i can restore this lady back to her former glory! (Dont worry, it starts up and i get to enjoy the engine while i restore it!)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Welcome and congrats on owning a MKII Supra. Good luck on her restoration.

·
Registered
'84 Dark Blue Converted to 5 Spd... '85 ..gradually acquiring parts to Turbo ... have 82 Engine
1,432 Posts
A Hearty welcome fr me as well...

& I can add... that I've been stockpiling Parts...mostly for myself (so not selling any more Tailights)... but will sell other stuff I have more than enuff of...

Only thing is shipping outside Canada is expensive... so if at all possible ... best to find parts as close to you as possible...

U didn't state Ur location... but if U can't find specific part reasonably close to Ur location... LMK....

Cheers,

·
Registered
'84 Dark Blue Converted to 5 Spd... '85 ..gradually acquiring parts to Turbo ... have 82 Engine
1,432 Posts
I do have Headlight covers & motors... but also not selling any "Whiskers" ...(the Plastic piece in front of the Headlight)

...those are like "Gold"/ that special category affectionately (??) known as being made of "UN-OBTAINIUM"

Just a Heads up...

·
Registered
1985 Toyota Supra MKII
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do have Headlight covers & motors... but also not selling any "Whiskers" ...(the Plastic piece in front of the Headlight)

...those are like "Gold"/ that special category affectionately (??) known as being made of "UN-OBTAINIUM"

Just a Heads up...
Im in the southwest part of the US but ill let you know as ive been looking for a while lol xD

but i think the previous owner lift the whiskers inside of the trunk before he handed over the title. im not super sure though as im still focusing on the engine

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
If Previous owner left U Whiskers... today wud b a good day to buy a LOTTERY TICKET... cuz ya got some MAJOR Good Luck happening, LOL

Have an AWESOME DAY !!

·
Registered
1985 Toyota Supra MKII
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If Previous owner left U Whiskers... today wud b a good day to buy a LOTTERY TICKET... cuz ya got some MAJOR Good Luck happening, LOL

Have an AWESOME DAY !!
After i check on the spark plugs and the oil ill totally mesage you about making its front end look less like a FedEx package xD

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
LMBAO at "FedEx Package " ... Can I Steal that line ? Plz plz plz ??

How I got into the whole Supra thing is that (in bad Fog) I had to make a split decision whether to try & take a corner... or go thru a Guardrail... & chose the Guardrail... so whole front end of car was Totalled... (for my very 1st Supra) ... Insurance replaced it & I bought out the "Wreck" ... gradually acquired all the parts to rebuild the Front end... then after everything was back together... Maaco tried to straighten the bumper... & friggin BENT THE FRAME... then just said "oops sorry bout Ur luck" ...& wouldn't refund any of the $$ I paid them...

So needless to say... I was not a Happy Camper....& Maaco... will nvr get any of my business, LOL... & I don't understand how they can still b in business if they do stuff like that... (the Local one that screwed up mine... did close... )

However, this situation happening... meant that for each sucessive car... I was kinda always short front end bumper parts....

I think I only have one front Bumper Cap... which I'll need for myself... Foglights are like gold... Can't promise but "Might" have a cpl of Turn signal lights once I get them all together & figure out exactly how many I have in Total. "might" have a spare Grill ... "Header panels" (Front piece btw Hood & top edge of Bumper Cap... are also Golden (Un-Obtainium) ... Tho I might have one for U that has good metal... but still has to be straightened out...

I DO have a nice Hood for you... but it would likely be a whole lot cheaper for U to try & straighten the existing one.

The Shipping charges on a whole hood... wud be beyond ridiculous... esp as I'd have to design a Crate for it...

R U doing most of the work Urself ? I do some of the Basic Bodywork myself... but something like straightening out a Hood... I would leave to a Pro... as (becuz of the Curves in particular)... if any heat is applied to it.. it can warp like crazy... & it's the most Visible part of the car when ya think about it... So don't skimp on that aspect...

I'll be in touch as I'm going about organizing stuff & figuring out how much I have... of what specific parts...

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
LMBAO at "FedEx Package " ... Can I Steal that line ? Plz plz plz ??

How I got into the whole Supra thing is that (in bad Fog) I had to make a split decision whether to try & take a corner... or go thru a Guardrail... & chose the Guardrail... so whole front end of car was Totalled... (for my very 1st Supra) ... Insurance replaced it & I bought out the "Wreck" ... gradually acquired all the parts to rebuild the Front end... then after everything was back together... Maaco tried to straighten the bumper... & friggin BENT THE FRAME... then just said "oops sorry bout Ur luck" ...& wouldn't refund any of the $$ I paid them...

So needless to say... I was not a Happy Camper....& Maaco... will nvr get any of my business, LOL... & I don't understand how they can still b in business if they do stuff like that... (the Local one that screwed up mine... did close... )

However, this situation happening... meant that for each sucessive car... I was kinda always short front end bumper parts....

I think I only have one front Bumper Cap... which I'll need for myself... Foglights are like gold... Can't promise but "Might" have a cpl of Turn signal lights once I get them all together & figure out exactly how many I have in Total. "might" have a spare Grill ... "Header panels" (Front piece btw Hood & top edge of Bumper Cap... are also Golden (Un-Obtainium) ... Tho I might have one for U that has good metal... but still has to be straightened out...

I DO have a nice Hood for you... but it would likely be a whole lot cheaper for U to try & straighten the existing one.

The Shipping charges on a whole hood... wud be beyond ridiculous... esp as I'd have to design a Crate for it...

R U doing most of the work Urself ? I do some of the Basic Bodywork myself... but something like straightening out a Hood... I would leave to a Pro... as (becuz of the Curves in particular)... if any heat is applied to it.. it can warp like crazy... & it's the most Visible part of the car when ya think about it... So don't skimp on that aspect...

I'll be in touch as I'm going about organizing stuff & figuring out how much I have... of what specific parts...

Cheers,
Oh yeah... don't know if U need them... (they are actually kinda crucial to me as I designed a Tow Bar... that I can Tow one Supra... with another...) but I'll have some extra Tow hooks that are under the car ... if those are demo-ed on Ur car.

·
Founding Member
6,500 Posts
ill totally mesage you about making its front end look less like a FedEx package xD
Hey, that's pretty funny. Welcome aboard. I'll repeat my parts search advice. Make a list and post what you need in the parts wanted section as many of our members do sell parts but don't advertise. Like Dave, many of us hoard spares for ourselves, but occasionally will let some go if we've got extras. And post your specific city because sometimes like me, I just don't want to mess with shipping at the moment, but I've seen people give away extra parts for free when someone is close enough to come pick it up in person. One caveat though is we get a few scammers who will answer every wanted ad just to take your money. If the person responding doesn't have a significant post count or is only a member for a short time, it could be one of those scammers. We do have a section on buyer/seller ratings that you can check.

Next. :ROFLMAO: Next ..... (I'm stilling chuckling over that FedEx reference).... You really need to log in here every day religiously and check for new parts for sale postings. Some items like trim and weatherstrip are so rare we call them "holy grail parts". And all of us here are circling like vultures, waiting on something we need. I think the record for an item posted "SOLD" is 56 seconds but half an hour is not unusual for good plastic, vinyl and rubber parts. Likewise, we've managed to get a few such items reproduced in limited quantities. You should keep about a grand in your piggy bank for such opportunities. When a group buy on a needed item is posted, don't hesitate because when the ordering window is closed, its closed and its on average about eight years before we can get enough people to ante up to do it again. We typically have to raise several thousand dollars to cover the cost of materials and tooling and that's hard to do on such a small forum as ours.

Third, keep watch on your local craigslist under cars for sale and the auto parts sections and be prepared to buy another whole "parts car" when the opportunity presents itself. Its much cheaper and depending where you live, probably faster, than hunting down parts one at a time (appears you need a lot). And whatever you don't use, you can sell or trade or just keep for just in case. If you don't have a place to store a whole car long term, then plan on just taking a couple days off work, make a long weekend of stripping off what you need and then have the carcass towed away before the neighbors complain.

Good luck and looking forward to more humorous posts..... ;)

·
Registered
1985 Toyota Supra MKII
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh yeah... don't know if U need them... (they are actually kinda crucial to me as I designed a Tow Bar... that I can Tow one Supra... with another...) but I'll have some extra Tow hooks that are under the car ... if those are demo-ed on Ur car.
I may actually need one soon as im moving again by the end of the year [to an actual garage] And dont feel like having them tow the rear end until i get my own solid look under it

Good luck and looking forward to more humorous posts..... ;)
Ooooh yeah, im watching craigslist like a hawk and pretty much looking for any MA6x celica's or supra's that have bits and pieces lol

----------------------

Side note i finished my checks on the car and she starts up with no trouble! The digital cluster goes wild though reading 54mph as the car was just sitting there, and the engine bay slightly smells like gas [so does the oil cap a little bit]

http://instagr.am/p/CM7qDBsl66P/

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Well the fact that it started up right away.. is a big plus, LOL... As far as issues with cluster... .not sure what that would be... if car is not actually moving... Re: Gas smell possibly you have a Gasket leak somewhere... possibly Gasket could have dried out/then cracked slightly somewhere... Hard to say without being there in person...

It looks like U might need a couple of front Flares...? I could supply U with those & do the Flare Stud Repair I came up with... Write up is here....

If U bought a bunch of other small Stuff that would fit in the "open Space" of the Flares... where the Wheel goes... the Shipping might not be too bad.

Basically, even tho the Flares are light... all the Courier Companies Calculate shipping on the Entire Dimensions of the Flare... including the "hole" ... So if ppl need other parts I design the package so that those other parts fit in the "hole" to kinda get "Free Shipping" ..

Did U only need ONE Tow hook ? That I can put my hands on right away/set aside for you...

Anyway, I bought a 53 ft Trailer... have put a couple grand in building Shelving throughout plus pay a monthly rent to store the whole Trailer on a Farmer's field... so I have to charge for the parts I sell... can't afford to just give them away... but if something can be worked out to get you some stuff shipped as Economically as possible... happy to help out...

Cheers,

·
Registered
1985 Toyota Supra MKII
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well the fact that it started up right away.. is a big plus, LOL... As far as issues with cluster... .not sure what that would be... if car is not actually moving... Re: Gas smell possibly you have a Gasket leak somewhere... possibly Gasket could have dried out/then cracked slightly somewhere... Hard to say without being there in person...

It looks like U might need a couple of front Flares...? I could supply U with those & do the Flare Stud Repair I came up with... Write up is here....

If U bought a bunch of other small Stuff that would fit in the "open Space" of the Flares... where the Wheel goes... the Shipping might not be too bad.

Basically, even tho the Flares are light... all the Courier Companies Calculate shipping on the Entire Dimensions of the Flare... including the "hole" ... So if ppl need other parts I design the package so that those other parts fit in the "hole" to kinda get "Free Shipping" ..

Did U only need ONE Tow hook ? That I can put my hands on right away/set aside for you...

Anyway, I bought a 53 ft Trailer... have put a couple grand in building Shelving throughout plus pay a monthly rent to store the whole Trailer on a Farmer's field... so I have to charge for the parts I sell... can't afford to just give them away... but if something can be worked out to get you some stuff shipped as Economically as possible... happy to help out...

Cheers,
Im not super sure it even originally had fender flares. Cause i think mine is a L type right? (Im still not super sure on the types yet lol)
And yep i think i need at least 1 tow hook, as i dont know the full extent of the damage until the tail lights get here and i can legally drive it to a body shop xD

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Any chance U took some side view pics that U can post ??

Also...AFAIK the L Types all had 15 inch Rims...(also not quite as wide as P Type Rims) ... so check & see if Ur Tires are 15 in or 14 in... that'll be 1 Clue...

·
Registered
1985 Toyota Supra MKII
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any chance U took some side view pics that U can post ??

Also...AFAIK the L Types all had 15 inch Rims...(also not quite as wide as P Type Rims) ... so check & see if Ur Tires are 15 in or 14 in... that'll be 1 Clue...
I got 15 inch rims, No mounts on the trunk lid for any type of spoiler, The flares that are there are molded into the metal fenders xD

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Yup... Def sounds like L type... not entirely sure what other differences there are... ( a little suprized it had the Full Supra Decal on the Hatch tho'... )

There are other ppl on here who would be more knowledgeable than me bout L types...

·
Registered
1985 Toyota Supra MKII
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The replacement tail lights just came in~
I know these are more for the Celica and not the Supra..... But i just love how OLD they look XD

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
The replacement tail lights just came in~
I know these are more for the Celica and not the Supra..... But i just love how OLD they look XD
The (white) backup light is horizontal where Urs R Veritcal... I know there were 3 different types of P Type Tailights... maybe these are Specific to (oriiginal ) L Types ? Or are these some Aftermarket replacements ? Just curious...

Not a big deal unless one is a Purist... but U may have to adapt the wiring harness a bit... just FYI

Cheers,

·
Registered
1985 Toyota Supra MKII
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The (white) backup light is horizontal where Urs R Veritcal... I know there were 3 different types of P Type Tailights... maybe these are Specific to (oriiginal ) L Types ? Or are these some Aftermarket replacements ? Just curious...

Not a big deal unless one is a Purist... but U may have to adapt the wiring harness a bit... just FYI

Cheers,
They are original tail lights, but i think they are the UK/Japan Supra's tail lights. (cause i did have to convert to Pounds to buy them lol)
Im so not a purist, My second car was ricey as hell when i was done with it XD

1 - 20 of 27 Posts