Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a while back I got a 1981 Honda CB650 that I got running but needed way too much work to be a safe daily driven bike and plus I thought, that would just be boring. So what do you do? get rid of the old worn out garbage and stuff that doesn't look cool like the wheels/tires, forks, swing arm, and motor... Not left with much at this point, so now what? Get a donor for more fun parts... I got me a not road legal 2001 GSXR 750! (I was originally going to do this with the 2001 Honda CBR 929 I had gotten but after I got it running I really didn't want to take it apart... Ha) And i'm doing this while rebuilding a turboing my 85MKII... All on a small budget... I must be crazy... :zzzzz:

Not mine but for reference of what I started with... the same, mine was just in pretty rough condition...

CB650 frame with GSXR swing arm initial fitting... and why I'm looking for a spacer in this thread -- http://forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?t=54269

The donor GSXR 750 which I already removed and sold some stuff like the tank and tail sub frame...

Motor out of the GSXR. Easier than expected.

Test Fitting front end and rear wheel... Other pics with tank and seat (i'll be changing the seat later to a more cafe style). For the front end I was able to find a set of steering head bearings with the correct inside diameter for the GSXR stem and outside diameter for the CB frame.

Gotta say, bikes are a lot easier than cars to work on... and yes I at least sort of know what I am doing... I went to the Motorcycle Mechanics Institute... gotta put some of that to use right?

Gunna be fun fitting the motor.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Have to say, that I have always had a soft spot for the old cafe racer style. This one looks like it should be fun and go like stink when you are finished. Good luck with the build.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sweet idea. i'm surprised that the CB frame is wide enough to fit the swingarm!
I was pretty nervous about that also... I actually need a spacer to make up some side to side movement. On the down side though is with the wider rear wheel/tire the chain is offset further so I will have to make some clearance to the frame... that is going to be interesting.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
I would cover the Supra with something....
... a scratch and you will never excuse yourself..

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not that I want more scratches on the car but she needs new paint already.... I was a bit worried going at the bike with the grinder and shooting sparks everywhere though...

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Test fitting the motor... tight fit, but it does fit. Now just gotta make new mounts. Fun stuff!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update time!

Have been working on this on and off for a bit... trying to knock out as much as I can.

Rear suspension mounts fabbed up...

Standing on its own for the first time.

Home made lathe to take the .4mm off of the 25.4mm tube I got for the swing arm spacer... must say worked pretty well.

Inside of tank is not too happy but seems to be salvageable... as long as I don't screw it up. Had to make clearance for the throttle bodies... you'll see

Modified exhaust to clear the frame rails... not welded just tacked

Lowered a bit (wife is going to ride this one and she is pretty short... and I like the way it looks anyhow)... how she sits as of today. You can see the required space for the throttle bodies.

Cap and vent tube placed for mock up..

Getting there... can't wait to ride it... then take it apart for paint and powdercoat...

·
Registered
516 Posts
Sweet! I've got a 1979 suzuki gs 550...I'd try something like that but its only got 7k miles on it so I'd hate to cut it up at this point!
But very cool, keep posting pics!

Brian

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ow yeah I wouldn't want to cut up a mint bike... in my case this bike was on its last leg and needed a ton of work for a restore to a boring bike in my opinion... so I went this route. plus the donor GSXR wasn't in mint condition and they are a dime a dozen anyhow. I'll post more as I get more done... waiting on the fuel pump, going to be running an external pump and regulator due to not having space in the tank for the stock GSXR pump. Then hopefully get the tank welded and sealed back together (I had to take a break from the tank, has to be the most work on the bike...)

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Man its been longer than i thought on this one. Finally got the tank welded back together and did the first round of brazing to fill in the pin holes... which there were a bunch. Welded in the the tunnel for the throttle bodies, bungs for the fuel feed, return, sight hose as well as the new gas cap and vent tube. I have a crap load of work in this tank and its finally coming together. Also started mocking up the tail section and I have it about where I want it. Should be laying some fiber glass on it soon. Cut and welded the mount for the headlight also. I'm thinkin I'm going to have to paint or at least brush the chrome cause it stands out like crazy being so big and being the only thing that is chrome, but I will decide on that later. PICTURES!!

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Bad ass, nuff said.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That thing is wicked! She is going to ride it with those bars? Im impressed ;)
it wouldn't have the cafe look without them... but i did originally build the bobber for her which she didn't like the handle bars... we'll see

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nothing like that in Florida. I have the title to the bike and had it registered before when I rode it for a couple months before the tear down. There really isn't a whole lot of welding other than the tabs for the motor mounts and rear suspension linkage. If a weld breaks the bike won't go down or anything like that. The actual frame is still in complete. The frame is a 1981 so I'm guessing in most stated it wouldn't need inspections... But I know for sure I don't need anything here.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts