1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Founding Member
6,607 Posts
Looks like a nice survivor but its hard to tell much from a few internet pictures. It looks to have been garaged for most of its life. But one big clue to me is the posting of maintenance history. Not that all the work was done (sounds like there's still things that need fixing), but what it shows is the car has been in consistent use with regular checkups since new. Its not one that racked up a lot of miles fast and then was parked for a decade or more to decay after something major failed. Its so near impossible to restore a Supra and raise it from "good" condition to "excellent", but this one just may have that kind of potential.

Mileage should not be a big concern as if its restored cosmetically, then its just going to become someone's weekend toy, not like someone is going to try to get another 100K miles of commuting out of it. Besides, Toyota people like to brag about their high mileage so that may actually appeal to someone. I could see doing a "sympathetic" restoration, not trying to make it look like new again, then take it to car shows, put a banner across the top of the windshield that reads "200,000 MILES" and let people be astounded how well its held up. Of course you can't really tell from a few internet pictures and a typed description what the true condition is. One of our northern California members needs to go check this out today with cash in hand before the seller has second thoughts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Quite tempting...

This seems to be something of concern, but I'm not sure:
2018 Apr - Oil and filter service at 186753 miles. Minor leaks found at cam end cap seal and at transmission output shaft seal. Could not identify occasional warm vehicle “no start” condition which self-resolves after resting 15-30 minutes, happening 3-4 times a year.
As well as the power steering nose and rack leak, which was found... but is it fixed? The owner didn't state.
There's also a rusted hole in the muffler, but that doesn't seem to be as hard to replace.

What do you all think? Is this a red flag? If it's not, I might just drive down there to see... I'm about 3 hours away.

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whatever the small issues left, that car is a real deal at that price.
Sure some people find a treasure at 1-2000, but that is like winning the lottery. It happens to only a few.
Sometime you have to take your future in your own hands.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Welp, I sent in an email asking some questions. I'll keep you all updated on what he says about some potential issues I can think of. :)

·
Founding Member
6,607 Posts
It wouldn't phase me on a mk2. Mechanics have been dealing with hot start/cold start issues since cars were invented. They didn't list any symptoms tho, does it not turn over at all, or does it crank indefinitely. We've got a dozen or so threads on here dealing with it and its one of only a few things.

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that car is worth in the 10K now i would say. no wonder why it sold quick.

·
Super Moderator
8,757 Posts
I'm sure you'll have another chance to buy it in a couple of months on BAT. I've noticed quite a few of the "decent" deals move from craigslist to BAT.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think you're on to something here. I was curious about that $40,000 blue two tone that just sold on BAT. Same buyer had bought two other clean Supras, an A70 and a first gen. Either monied collector or a speculator. Buyer spent $100,000 buying old Supras on BAT this year

Whatever the real scoop is beyond my own wonderings, anything called Supra seems to demand quite a premium these days

I'm sure you'll have another chance to buy it in a couple of months on BAT. I've noticed quite a few of the "decent" deals move from craigslist to BAT.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts