Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, yesterday I was driving, got on the interstate, went through 1-4 fine. Then when I go to put it in 5th it pops right out. Now if I hold it in while driving it will hold for awhile then starts making a grinding noise and pops right out. Any ideas what it would be? Thanks....

·
Registered
551 Posts
syncro fail most likely
There are so many things that cause it to jump out of gear, but yes i put money on synchronizer being worn or damaged.

Supra transmissions are extremely tough, might be worth taking it down and seeing whats wrong for yourself.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
First pull the shifter and check your shift lever bushings. If they get loose and worn out, it can cause the tranny to "pop" out of gear, though usually only in first gear.

5th gear popping out, is just worn out bushings on the gear itself. 5th gear is under the most torque/stress, so it's the first one to wear out the bushing it rides on (spins on the shaft) and the slop causes the gear to "walk" away from the gear it meshes with, because the gear teeth are cut at an angle. It's enough to force back the synchro ring, and pop it out of gear. It's a popular problem on Toyota trucks. Solution is a thorough rebuild (expen$ive) or swap in another lower mileage W58 from a variety of toyotas (cheaper if found at a junkyard). Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts