Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys finally got a new motor to put in so i threw it in and Checked and double checked everything and seems like its all correct only things wrong are the vacuum lines which are all hooked up just need to double check

So i get it all put together and go to crank and nothing just a click from the starter
The starter was new 3 months before i spun a bearing in my old motor
Now that was 2 years ago but still
Could the starter be bad? or since its the same battery from then could that be the culprit ?
I havent started a supra in 2 years i miss it and this is killing me

Please help ive searched and attempted most of everything and still nothing
also where exactly under the intake manifold does the negative ground cable for the battery go
Think that could be a problem? i tried grounding it to the body but maybe has to be there

Let me know, Thanks guys, Justin :sadbanana:

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
IIRC the ground that runs to the body then to the battery goes on the engine mount.

Also did you make sure that you connected both of the power wires to the starter (things happen when you get happy that the car is almost done).

·
Registered
555 Posts
iirc, The Negative cable goes onto a stud near the motor mount (on the engine block). When I replaced my engine (the vehicle has been down for a year) the same thing happened to me, I was excited to hear it run and turned the key and nothing, not even a click!! I was angry and feeling bad and out of the blue my wife said "sounds like a battery problem" which made sense to me after I thought about it more clearly. Long story short I charged the battery and cleaned the posts and terminals and it started. SOOOO...charge the battery and clean the posts and inside of the terminals so it makes good contact and gets the full power, corrosion takes a lot of power to get through. It does need a good ground to make the system operate. Also if it is a manual you could push it and start it that way. Just a thought! Good Luck.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
just pull the starter off and test it, or if u cant take it to any advance autoparts ( or the closest autoparts store), did u turn the crank before putting it back?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah i can turn the crank with a ratchet and socket on the crank pully
there is a little wire off the harness near the battery little white plug but i think its for the a/c
And im thinking battery but ive tried 2 and theres 2 grounds from the battery?
ill take the starter out and have it tested or ill test it and ill check the connections

Sorry guys this is making me upset

·
Premium Member
5,558 Posts
ye but if u push it down a hill and it doesnt start.. then u got a angry push back up the hill.. lol

Having to read a post twice just to decypher and comprehend it really is a pain.

I'd double check connections first. On the battery, starter, and block. Pull the starter if you must and you can check it with jumper cables right there on the floor of your garage.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well battery was charged just wasnt good without a load
i bought a new one and it cranks only problem is the timing now im gunna try and set it to top dead but cranked it and had it running barely and very rough
Thanks for the help guys figured it was the battery

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
:duh: lol

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeppp I was looking at tanyas starting and running issues and wasnt exactly shure so brought the old battery to autozone and tested bad im like doohhh theres the problem

Bout a new one
She cranked right over aint running quite yet got a few little bugs
but soon atleast for the meet

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeppp maybes shoulda tried the new battery before posting and looking like an ass

Thanks guys, Justin

1 - 16 of 16 Posts