Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this site so I don't know if this question have been asked before but I recently purchased a 1985 Celica supra which didn't ran for about 12 years o so, and so far I have replaced the fuel pump and cleaned the injector but they don't want to fire when cranking I've checked the grounds behind the intake manifold and my fuel pressure is good because they do fire when I do it manually. Any help will be really helpful .
Thank you

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your help, so a couple weeks ago o got an 85 supra first I wasn't getting any fuel pressure to the fuel rail because the fuel pump was sized cause of the old fuel, so I replaced that, then I went to crack the car and my injectors were silent so I took a multimeter and I im getting about 12.4 volts at the injector connection and I'm getting 13 omhs out of the injectors it self. The I checked the ground cables behind the intake manifold and they were secure and I was getting 12 volts or so out of them as well. Then I tested the injectors with a battery still plugged to the fuel rail and the they worked when I shut gas . I am getting plenty of spark. I also used a noid light and but there is no blinking. So I don't know if my ecu is bad or if there is a sensor that controls the injectors like a cam position sensor. Thank in advance

·
Registered
7,031 Posts
If you have spark, your timing lights should blink. Just to be sure all this is fine, remove the distributor cap, and crank the engine., while looking at the rotor. If it does not spin, the timing belt is probably broken. The input to the ECU to know when sparking comes from just under the rotor : it has to spin!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RedP85 thank you I never thought about that distributor thing you're talking about I didn't really knew how the ecu fired the injectors but im going to take a look at the distributor and the timing belt because I'm getting power and fuel all the way to the injectors but they just don't want to fired. Thanks

·
Registered
205 Posts
You said spark is good. Fuel pump is running. So it might be the ground signal from ecu not getting to injector grounds.
Is the ecu grounded, fuel injector 1.5 to 3 ohms resistance. Check injector resistor pack should be 2 ohms.
Could be a bad ecu.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

So I tested the injectors and I'm getting 2.7-2.9 ohms of resistance the injectors connectors are giving me about 12.4volts, I also tested the connectors with a noid light and a test light at the same time and when I cranked the engine the test was blinking maybe cause it was grounded but the noid light did not. I also found two connections behind the intake and one of them have power and the other one doesn't I don't know if it supposed to be like that. I also tested the injector resistor and it gave me 2.6 and 2.7 ohms respectably.

·
Registered
205 Posts
You did have the ground wires on while testing, because one of the brown wires is ground for rpm signal.
Test for continuity from injector ground plug back to ecu plug #10 and #20 white wires.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes those wires were bolted to the intake when testing and today I checked the for continuity from the connector to the ecu and I have continuity , I also checked the connections behind the intake for continuity and their good, I am thinking about getting another ecu, and another injector resistor as well.

·
Super Moderator
8,159 Posts
The air flow meter needs to be working to activate the fuel pump in these cars and the pick up in the distributor needs to work so the ECU can see the engine turning. If you spray ether in the TB will the engine attempt to fire?

·
Registered
7,031 Posts
The test above will tell if the issue is fuel or fire related.
Even if probably not that, just ensure that the main crank pulley at 0deg, look at a hole in the intake crankshaft (from the oil filler opening), and the rotor is pointing at wire of #1 cylinder.
Historically, Igniter module have a failure rate much much higher than the ECU.

·
Registered
205 Posts
If it starts with starting fluid. Test for power at ecu ( probe at wiring ) #10 to e1 and #20 to e1 with ign switch on.
If ok then power to injectors is good and resistor pack. Jump fuel pump connector verify pump is pumping, leave connector jumped try to start.If it starts then remove jumper while running. Car stalls AFM fuel switch is bad.
No start possible ECU is bad.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I got it to start and stay running today after switching ecu's and I got the tires spinning, it goes in gear but grinds get I put it back on park any idea what could be the cause.

And thank you

·
Registered
205 Posts
So it was a bad ECU. Glad it's running. Car hasn't ran in 12 years change trans fluid and diff fluids first.
Was it on a road test or up on jack stands. Post a video of noise.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I found out what it is. So when I got the car neither of the rear wheels spinned at all so I took the break callipers off and I forgot to put one of the back on, so whenever I tried to put the car back on park one of the wheels were spinning still cause it didn't had the break Caliper that's why the transmission was grinding. But imma put new break pads, calipers, hoses and new fluids tomorrow or some day this week.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm going to it a video of her running tomorrow. It was on jack stands 82turbosupra.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts