Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 82 Supra that cranks good. There is spark at the ignition coil. Tested injector pulse with noid light, and it checked out good. Fuel pump working and pressure is good. However, when I checked the spark at the spark plug wires, there is no spark or sometimes spark. I pulled plug wires off distributor cap and tested spark with check light, and there is no spark. Is it the pickup coil? or distributor cap/rotor? plug wires? Any advise will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,565 Posts
Did you pull cap and look at the rotor? I had a rotor recently break in two pieces! They were bouncing around in the distributor cap. Had same symptoms - spark at the coil but not out of the dizzy.

Reactions: AJ

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rotor and cap are new. Also the plug wires are new. Do you think the ignitor will cause it to give weak spark and sometimes no spark? However, I pulled the middle wire from the ignition coil and air gap to the body then tested, and it continuously sparked, but when I tried to test at the plug wires, it sparks sometimes. I used a spark plug tester from harbor freight. I have changed the dizzy pickup with the LX547, but it still has the same problem. can it be the ignition coil causing it? There is fuel, the plugs are wet. Can the injector be fault on all 6 cylinders?

·
Premium Member
7,928 Posts
Follow the no spark diagnosis in the TSRM....'86 but same principles

·
Premium Member
7,928 Posts
Could be the ignitor giving out...usually when the ignitor starts to fail, car will die intermittently then die completely...

May also be the coil...cheaper and easier to replace...

·
Super Moderator
8,356 Posts
Try pulling the cap and cranking the engine to make sure the rotor is turning.

Reactions: AJ
1 - 6 of 6 Posts