Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres the problem every time I back up the driveway and off on to the street my car makes this noise kinda like a clanking noise it also happens when I go over a speed bump. I've put in a new RACK & PINION, new shocks front and back and I just got my new tri strut tower bar put in and and it still makes this nose??? Can it be bushings? And if so witch ones?? I think its coming from the left maybe.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
is it when the wheel is turned?

will

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Like a metal on metal clank? If so, i'm getting the same noise, I just replaced my shocks..

When I replaced my struts in the fronts, I pulled out the cartridge and found this fluid all over the place in the strut tube, so being anal about my car, I decided to clean it out. Little did I know the fluid in there served a purpose. So I was speaking to Dean Anderson at the Toronto MKII meet and he told me the fluid was ATF.. I'm thinking that the fact that I have no fluid in the tube is the reason for that noise. I'm wondering if this is the same problem, or if this could even be the cause for the problem. Anyone? Wheres TomD when you need him..

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
I don't think so, the FSRM doesn't mention that anywhere. Your old struts were probably hydrolic and blown so they were leaking fluid into the strut chamber. Of course, I have the clank now too. Been meaning to put the front end up and bang stuff around. It could be that the struts have loosend up in the strut cylinders, theres a little metal cap that screws down to hold them in place. It kind of sounds like something like that. I'll let you guys know when I get around to tracking it down.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Suspension??

Well mine had the same fluid inside but as the last ad before this put in. ("Your old struts were probably hydrolic and blown so they were leaking fluid into the strut chamber.") Plus when I put in my tokico's it was makeing the same noise before hand.

I realy think its something to do with the bushings? maybe?

·
Registered
237 Posts
My car has been making the same noise since I replaced my front struts with Konis. If you push down on the front of the car it makes a clunking sound. Same with speed bumps or other big dips at low speeds. I think it is either the lower ball joints or bushings. I thought the nut on top of the strut was loose but tightening it didn't change a thing.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
The OE struts in these cars were hydrolic "sp" and you HAD to add,I forget,so many cc's of fluid.Most newer style cartridges are sealed,but if you read the directions,many suggest adding fluid for cooling purposes.The directions for Ophir's tokico's had this in them.
As far as your clunking.I agree with the control arm theory.

·
Registered
792 Posts
that same noise bugged the hell outta me for about 3 months till I pulled the nut at the top of my KYB's. Tried to retorque it down but it just wouldn't tighten enough to get it to be quiet. Ended up taking a washer and dropped it down first, then tightened the nut back on. Guess what? NO MORE NOISE!!!
It's been noise free for about 3 months now, so I guess it solved the problem!
Think I got the washer from Home Depot...

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Your upper strut mounts are probably bad.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I had a lot of clunking and squeaking from the front end on bumps and such, and I recently replaced the Addco sway bar bushings (the ones that mount to the frame) with greasable ones from Energy Suspension. No more squeaking or clanking!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts