Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

21 - 40 of 224 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
That is the same unit I have in my '02 Sequoia SR5 except mine is the 6 cd unit. I tried to use a cassette adapter to plug in the Ipod. The problem I had is the unit thinks the cassette is at the end and tries to reverse the direction of the tape play and causes the music to drop out. So no go. There are adapters to attach to the back of the head unit to play the Ipod.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Looks great Brad!

I did something similar a few years back. Mine had 3 components - the receiver, the CD player, and the amp. Here is the end result:

[/IMG]

Chris
----------
1986 Toyota Supra MKII
1987 Toyota MR2 T-Top/5-speed
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT V6/5-speed
1989 Pontiac Turbo Trans Am #760 (1940 miles)
1988 Chevrolet Corvette 35th Anniversary #1941/2050
1983 Delorean DMC-12
1985 Kawasaki Eliminator ZL900

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Looks great Brad!

I did something similar a few years back. Mine had 3 components - the receiver, the CD player, and the amp. Here is the end result:
Very nice! :thumbsup: That looks real good. Thats what I originally had plans for, except the 2 pc setup I was looking at was a 6 disc.

The auction got past me on that one. If one comes along again, I'm gonna switch it over. The 6 disc is a big 'want' for me.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I love the twin cd players but is there a real use it and if you do use it how does work in the car

·
Premium Member
7,844 Posts
Mav, I'm assuming your directing this to me...

The Pioneer AM/FM/CD has the controls for the Pioneer add-on CD player, you toggle back and forth from AM-FM-CD-CD, saves me time from changing CD as I'm driving (not safe), I actually have had this setup for a while. Started with a Pioneer AM/FM/Cass with the add-on CD player back when the kids were still listening to cassettes!!

I love the twin cd players but is there a real use it and if you do use it how does work in the car

·
Premium Member
7,844 Posts
My other choice at the time of upgrading to a AM/FM/CD was the Kenwood KDC series AM/FM/CD with a Kenwood KDC-D300 Add-on CD player but it has a flip up front to load the CD.

Pioneer also has the Premier Series..

AM/FM/CD Radios
DEH-P200, P210
DEH-P300, P310
DEH-P400, P410

·
Registered
818 Posts
cd

Do you have and original antenna on it? If you do does it function the same, ie, does the antenna go down and back up when a cd is put in or out like it does with the tape?

Jim

·
Premium Member
7,844 Posts
Jim, just like the OEM radio/cassette. I used the Scosche adapter to match the OEM connectors.

Do you have and original antenna on it? If you do does it function the same, ie, does the antenna go down and back up when a cd is put in or out like it does with the tape?

Jim

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Antenna

Jim
Hey Jim, (or anyone curious about the power antenna wiring)

I also just installed a new Hirschmann power antenna. With this stereo installation it works just like it should, provided that you snip the secondary blue 'looped' power wire on the harness adapters, you can see it in one of the pics of the adapters at the beginning of the thread. The antenna goes up only when AM/FM is activated, goes down whenever a tape or CD is used, or the unit is powered off.

Important note: If installing a new power antenna, it will not work as above if installed according to these instructions: supra_antenna. (Being thankful there ARE places to go for info on our cars, the page is laid out very nice, and a great place to reference the install, just 1 change to be made)

He is slightly incorrect with his wiring. I've politely advised him, but no changes were ever made to the page. Instead of the secondary NON-CONSTANT 12v source being the red/white wire, (it IS switched 12v, but not the right one) you need to use the BLACK wire, it is NOT a ground wire, it is the ONLY switched 12v source that is operated exsclusively with the AM/FM. Otherwise your antenna will go up with head unit power of any kind, like tape or CD. The red/white wire as seen on that page, being head unit switched 12v power, may come in handy back there for someone with an amp or powered subs in the hatch area etc.
The correct way, you don't have to turn your CD/tape off to go through a car wash etc.

(UPDATE 5-10-09) Just to clarify and avoid any confusion, the black wire mentioned above will ONLY TEST POSITIVE FOR 12V POWER WHEN THE AM/FM RADIO IS TURNED ON. Testing it any other time will show no power.
HTH.:salute:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Brad, if you change your system do I get first dibs on buying your current one?

·
Registered
118 Posts
An added bonus is that at night, these radios light up in the similar color as the rest of the interior lighting, like the clock.

If you like that stock look, you can't beat this route!

Chris
----------
1986 Toyota Supra MKII
1983 Delorean DMC-12

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
The real beauty of using stock Toyota components is that they pretty much say DON'T STEAL ME, I'M NOT BLING. I'm digging the 6 CD changer setup. I bet you can set this up with a reasonable amp to power modern speakers and get some clean basic sound and functionality without turning your car into a thief magnet. I am recently unemployed (ouch), so upgrading my stereo will have to wait, but I'd sure like to know the fit, parts and configuration options so I can scan eBay in the future.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Hambone, 'DIBS' causes chaos in the schoolyard brotha . . . . . ;-)

Steve, I couldn't agree more about the potential anti-theft benefit. As far as fit, parts etc, it's really all laid out here in this thread, if you have any questions or want the wiring .pdf file etc, feel free to LMK. I recommend starting to scan eBay now, before you need to purchase, research is EVERYTHING. Create a custom search, and get emails daily with the new postings. You'll get a handle for what to look for, what the differences are, and what the avg cost might be. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Does anyone have an idea of the power rating of these units and how cleanly do they drive modern speakers, plus current draw on the alternator? Would I get fairly good volume with clean sound? Plus if I wanted a modest size sub, how would you do it? I'll let the kids and audiophiles go for the monster setups, but older threads talk about the inherent limits to the stock Supra radios, so how far ahead would a more modern stock setup like the above put me?

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Does anyone have an idea of the power rating of these units and how cleanly do they drive modern speakers, plus current draw on the alternator? Would I get fairly good volume with clean sound? Plus if I wanted a modest size sub, how would you do it? I'll let the kids and audiophiles go for the monster setups, but older threads talk about the inherent limits to the stock Supra radios, so how far ahead would a more modern stock setup like the above put me?
well, since i doubt the factory toyota radio's have rca jacks, what youll need is a line out converter. it taps into the rear speaker wiring, and uses that signal and coverts it to an rca jack so you can connect any amp and sub. if your looking into a clean modest sized sub, have a look at Malibyte's set up. looks almost stock if you ask me.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Steve, I guess I misunderstood your request above for parts/configurations. I didn't realize you were talking about adding a power amp etc to the 'stock' stereo. That would almost seem like a lot of trouble to go to just for the small affect of the non-bling, potential 'anti-theft' benefit. There are no RCA connectors on OEM units, I've never heard of a converter for tapping into speaker output to change it to a line-level signal, but that doesn't mean anything, they could be available at every Wallyworld store.
As far as the output of OEM stereos, I would think they're a max of 20 watts. I know older units are 10-15. I guess it all depends what you're looking to get out of your sound system. Myself, I'm happy with the power of a decent OEM CD deck, with some new speakers. (the 1985 stock speakers deserve a peaceful retirement)

If you've got quality speakers, and your not looking for volume to thump down the road with, this setup is great. If you do find yourself converting/adding on to an OEM deck for more output etc, please post up what you did/used etc.

ORIGINAL POST UPDATED TO INCLUDE INFO ON THE 'SUB" WIRING.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
There are no RCA connectors on OEM units, I've never heard of a converter for tapping into speaker output to change it to a line-level signal, but that doesn't mean anything, they could be available at every Wallyworld store.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_12157_Valor+ACC-HLC.html

they work pretty simple. i used it on my friends honda since he wanted subs but didnt want to take out the factory radio for warranty reasons. in the honda, the rear speakers were on the rear deck lid, so we grabbed the signal directly from there and the unit remained in the trunk. but in this case, what you could do is simply splice it in to the harness adapter that your using to integrate the newer toyota radio and leave it behind the dash. then just plug in your rca cables and run them to the trunk. it grabs signal from the left and right rear speakers, so theres 4 wires. i cant remember if the unit has its own ground or not but i dont think so. if it did, its not a big deal.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
The post below was what I was talking about when I mentioned amp. I know some units have the amp built in to the receiver and some units have an external amp that has to be mounted. I thought the smaller subs had their own amplifier (like a bazooka or something not really crazy). From a previous post, if these newer units have double the power, they should drive modern speakers cleanly just fine, maybe not to audiophile quality, but decent and clean and maybe a bazooka or something if I needed a little extra punch for the low end. I have a stock stereo and equalizer with the original 5 speaker setup. The front and rears have been replaced and they sound ok at normal volume, but I can't say I get clean sound if I crank them up a bit to overcome the wind noise of an open window. Upgrading speakers on a stock system and the problems and limitations of that have been covered by many previous posts. It seems that modern speakers need more raw power to drive them efficiently than the old stockers.

Looks great Brad!

[/IMG]

Chris
----------
1986 Toyota Supra MKII
1983 Delorean DMC-12

21 - 40 of 224 Posts