Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This auto has come to grow on me, but I know that it is on borrowed time as it is, and when I go turbo it's just gonna be
. I'd like to stay auto, if at all possible. Anyone have a good estimate on the power that a non-ect '82 auto tranny will hold? Is it even worth my time, or should I say screw it and just go W58?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Actually i had the same question. I've got an 82 L type auto and am considering a turbo kit or 7mgte transplant. Can this model automatic hold that much power? Plus if it can't it'll really suck as i was forced to replace the stock trans for a rebuilt one. Yeah, it cost about $2800. And yeah, the car itself only cost $1000 when I bought it. So now I have plans to pass it on to my children(and I'm only 23 w/ no kids anytime soon!) as I have spent about $8000+ replacing or fixing almost every part and will be damned if I'll throw all that money away. And that was the middle choice with the high being $3200 to rebuilt the original and $1500 for a scrapyard trans. I knew it wouldn't be cheap but had no choice as I needed the car and had no other transportation at that time. So everybody knows, an auto with 153,000 cannot take but so many burnouts without losing all but first gear. Drove it to the shop though, under it's own power! Course that was doing about 15-25 in first gear. woops, sorry I was rambling, anyway to the point. If the auto cannot hold the power it's going to be VERY expensive to keep replacing. Brian

·
Premium Member
6,112 Posts
Hey Yall-Youll get 10 or 15 good burnouts w/your turbo and then the tranny will munch-As discussed to death elsewhere, A43D Mark II automagic is designed for bout 175 ftlbs of torque-All you can do is take it easy and massage what ya got-They are EXPENSIVE to build when they take out hard internal parts-GET A 5 SPD!!!!!!! Or grab the cutting torch and wedge in an 87-92 MarkIII Turbo tranny-MUCH higher torque rating-Good Luck-Mike P

1 - 3 of 3 Posts