Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ah ya here is the story

my pops bought a celica gt-s vert in 1985. he moved around the country but the car stayed with him, maintained but barely, till 2006 and 115K miles.

I had a Porsche 968 that my dad had an eye for. I was at the age that giving a Porsche to your dad was cooler than having one.... so I said I would take the old Toyota in trade. You never saw a happier guy than the day he drove away in the 968.

So I took a liking to the Celica (again) noticing the sweet handling (after new struts and bushings) and lack of power, esp. mushy 3 spd plus overdrive auto. I added some headers, a strut bar, some new vinyl guts, intake, etc.

Anyway in mid 2007 the old man found a lump in his neck and 3 months later he was gone.

Now I've owned a lot of cars in my time, but it looks like me and this Celica are going to be together for awhile. I can't stand driving it anymore as an Auto: I need to convert it to a 5-speed.

I'm pretty mechanical in theory but I dont turn many wrenches. I employ a pretty good mechanic but he does not enjoy open-ended research projects- he does superb work but he prefers the parts and plans laid out for him.

I'm looking for a way to get this done. The car is in Cleveland, OH. Doing any or all of the mechanical work is optional for me. I need some help finding the correct parts and procedures to complete the job sometime in the early spring. I love to pay folks well for a job well done, but my DNA is cheap hundreds of generations back.

Here is what I know:

there are no electronics or weird issues with a swap

the firewall needs some beefing up to take the pedal loads

the correct transmission is W58, not sure about interchange between Celicas, supras, etc.

The prop shaft has to be shortened or a correct one located

Obviously I need to source the right tranny, shifter, boot, pedal/master cyl. by buying a car or the parts.

Does anyone have any ideas about how I should proceed ? Am I missing anything major above ?

This ends this episode of silly noob questions.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Looks like you have pretty much all the bases covered for the swap.

-Yes the W58 in a 82-85 Supra is the same one in a Celica, just different bellhousing and different drive/driven gears for the speedo (read, your speedo will be off).

-You will need a longer front half of the prop shaft.

-You should go over to http://www.celica-gts.com/forums/index.php since there are a few documented times of people doing the 5speed swap in a Celica.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
That writeup also works on the Celicas.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts