Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a little thought pop into my head. I'm planning on doing the Cressida Front brake swap on my Supra, and I was reading a couple of write ups and they mention that after the swap you cannot use the stock P-Type wheels without having to grind the Caliper down a bit. What gets me is that I know people swap P-Type wheels onto Cressidas so in theory, shouldnt it clear?

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I just need a quick answer.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for that! Now I have to decide.. grind calipers to fit stockers or buy Enkei 92s to fit calipers. Decisions, Decisions...

·
Registered
839 Posts
I have a question about the Cressida brakes, too. How much power can they handle? I would like to go 1JZ in the future, but I don't want to go any bigger than 15" rims, and you have to have 16" rims to clear the BBK.

Sorry for the thread jack, T/A Bandit. :)

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
I have a question about the Cressida brakes, too. How much power can they handle? I would like to go 1JZ in the future, but I don't want to go any bigger than 15" rims, and you have to have 16" rims to clear the BBK.

brakes don't handle power....they handle speed. it depends on how you drive.

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
I just had a little thought pop into my head. I'm planning on doing the Cressida Front brake swap on my Supra, and I was reading a couple of write ups and they mention that after the swap you cannot use the stock P-Type wheels without having to grind the Caliper down a bit. What gets me is that I know people swap P-Type wheels onto Cressidas so in theory, shouldnt it clear?

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I just need a quick answer.
I wondered that myself. I put new calipers on my cressida when I had it, with the p-type wheels, no problem at all.

My guess is that the mounting point on the cressida strut is just slightly lower than our MA61s. so it just clears on its own. I always wanted an answer to that question too but I never had the idea to measure while I had the wheel off. I dont have the car anymore now.

My bet, go 16" and do the z32 swap :D I dont know why you would limit yourself to the smaller BBK because of the rim size unless you have a preference for lapping wheels or something like that. A couple guys on here run 15" on the track because they like the feel, but they have a reason to do it. 16" with proper offset fits very nice on our cars.

·
Registered
147 Posts
just have to be a bit careful, i'm doing the Z32 swap atm and got XXR 002 16x8 +0 and area between the mounting surface to the spoke interferes a bit with the calipers. So I had to get spacers.

Here is how they sit in the 16" wheels.
http://www.truestreets.com/index.cfm/do/api.gallery.view/id/08F6542A-3048-5F25-7C2A060C3730655D/file/img253.png

It gets awfully close, if you can't test fit the rim you want might be best to go with 17" wheels.

Btw, I still have cressida calipers/hub/pads for sale, just no rotors.

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
I wondered that myself. I put new calipers on my cressida when I had it, with the p-type wheels, no problem at all.

My guess is that the mounting point on the cressida strut is just slightly lower than our MA61s. so it just clears on its own. I always wanted an answer to that question too but I never had the idea to measure while I had the wheel off. I dont have the car anymore now....
I still dont understand the clearance problems, I had p types on the front of my 88 Cress.

This is weird as you use the Cressida hub, disc and caliper on the Supra. If memory is not failing me Dean came up with this swap so possibly he has the answer. It really makes no sense because caliper offset shouldn't change or the caliper wouldn't fit over the disc. There is room for the caliper to sit slightly off center of the disc when the piston of the caliper is completely pushed in. Caused by different seated location of the Cressida hub on the Supra spindle or the caliper on the mount. It could also be the height of the caliper in relation to the disc is slightly higher.

just have to be a bit careful, i'm doing the Z32 swap atm and got XXR 002 16x8 +0 and area between the mounting surface to the spoke interferes a bit with the calipers. So I had to get spacers.

Here is how they sit in the 16" wheels.

It gets awfully close, if you can't test fit the rim you want might be best to go with 17" wheels.

Btw, I still have cressida calipers/hub/pads for sale, just no rotors.
I tried the Z32 caliper in a 15" Ltype wheel with a Supra hub and MPV disc. The ID of the wheel cleared the caliper, but the spokes were too close and rubbed the caliper.

It is the spoke design that is the issue here as Z32/Q45/Z31 wheels are 16". 17" wheels wouldn't make a difference unless the spokes are different design. It would be nice have specs of different wheels to see how they would clear different calipers. Thanks for the pic.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts

I trapped 112 and more Friday night; it stopped with no problems for the short turnoff road. This brake setup is supposed to be better for fade, so I think you'll be fine 'till you get into pituala range.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I had P Types on an 88 Cressy and HAD rubbing issues and Had to grind the caliper.

If I recall ... pad thickness may have been the difference. Old pads didn't rub at all, and new pads did. It shifted the floating caliper further out towards the rim with the thicker pads.

Hope that helps.

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
I had P Types on an 88 Cressy and HAD rubbing issues and Had to grind the caliper.

If I recall ... pad thickness may have been the difference. Old pads didn't rub at all, and new pads did. It shifted the floating caliper further out towards the rim with the thicker pads.

Hope that helps.
Exactly... forgot the calipers are floating style and thus are wider when the pads are new.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you guys! I was thinking the pads might have been it.

The search for Hubs continue!

·
Registered
839 Posts
My bet, go 16" and do the z32 swap :D I dont know why you would limit yourself to the smaller BBK because of the rim size unless you have a preference for lapping wheels or something like that. A couple guys on here run 15" on the track because they like the feel, but they have a reason to do it. 16" with proper offset fits very nice on our cars.
The reason why I say this is because The wheels I want to get in the future are the SSR MKIII's:

But the largest they come in is 15". Also, I haven't seen too many cool looking old school style deep dish rims over 15". And don't get me wrong, I'm not tryin to be a "JDM ballin", those are just the kinds of rims I like. Also, I've been told that tire selection for 16" sux.

·
Registered
147 Posts
rsdeo, well partly why I said 17" on these wheels is because it's hard to see but the ID of the rim gets narrower when getting closer to the spokes. So I had to grind off a bit to clear that also.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts