Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought my first '84 p-type this week...before i made it home the head gasket went [i tend to have bad luck with new vehicles]

..just wonderin if anyone knew the best place to get a quality engine rebuild kit ??

the info would be greatly appriciated

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
You say you are a noob - I respect that. I say when I don't know something too. Sometimes shocks folks.

Head Gasket failures are RARE on these cars unless a repair went wrong (I've had a between cylinder leak on the 83 - they do happen). How do you know the HG went? Have you done a compression check? If you haven't done a compression check (tester is $10 at harbor Freight) then I question your diagnosis. Give us some numbers. A burnt valve (due to an air intake leak) is MUCH more likely than a BHG.

Engine rebuild kit. Really? I don't think you need it. That is so 1960s American engine. Do you need new main bearings? I don't think so.

My GUESS is that you might need a cylinder head gasket kit for about $200. You may need a head job/valve grind/valve guide replacement. You don't need an engine rebuild (7MGEs need engine rebuilds, 5MGEs do not need them as often).

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Welcome,

just bought my first '84 p-type this week...before i made it home the head gasket went [i tend to have bad luck with new vehicles]

..just wonderin if anyone knew the best place to get a quality engine rebuild kit ??

the info would be greatly appriciated
Give some symptoms, M series engines blow headgaskets pretty often.

If it's smoking white, that's antifreeze. If it's white with a blue tent then it's oil. Definately do a compression test, if the tester really is $10 at Harbor Freight I would get on that. I dropped Compression on Cylinder 3 on my 7mgte, it was nice to see numbers. Cylinder 1: good, Cylinder 2: good, Clyinder 3: 1 pound of compression :eekfacepalm:.

Also there's some typical things you'll want to check if it's BHG (blown head gasket, you'll want to know that acronym, it's used religiously. lol). Check the bottom side of the oil Cap for a weird white color after running the car for a bit. If the heat doesn't work, that's another sign. I think I'm missing some... but yeah.

Good luck,

This is amazing site, don't take is for granted.

Tony

D

·
0 Posts
check the oil...if the oil is milky and discolored then the coolant mixed with the oil possibly from a bhg. like they all said, do compression test an a haynes manual always saved my ass. this is a good opportunity to learn how to take apart the top end of the motor and replace all seals as you go along. like the valve cover gaskets and cam tower gaskets (which are common leaks). anymore help needed you just let us know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts