Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1985 P-type, manual
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

Just thought I would post a quick project I did this week. I have needed a nose emblem for awhile now. I have one from my last Supra... In a box. In a closet. I think.

Anyway, so in the mean time I have been using a keychain that I bought on eBay last year. It occurred to me that with a little Dremel time, I could make something to get me by. Now, I know this won’t pass muster for true Supra folks, and it falls on a sliding line somewhere between sacrilege and practicality. But hey, emblems are getting hard to find and pretty spendy, so if it helps someone, I’m happy.

Ingredients are:

keychain
adhesive rubber pad
3M double sided tape, or emblem adhesive.

1st, cut the emblem off the keychain.
Carefully cut the metal loop with a Dremel cutting blade
Cut as many layers of the rubber mat as needed to sit on the slightly curved nose section.
Cut out a square in the middle of the rubber pieces.
My matting had adhesive one one side, so I just stuck them together and to the emblem.
Stack up some tape, and stick on the baby emblem.

I don’t think the tape will harm the paint, and the matting keeps the emblem from rubbing on the hood. You could probably use emblem adhesive too.

It‘s a little skinny, but it beats a bare spot…

Product Material property Magenta Font Rectangle

Font Gas Drink Bottle Rectangle

Automotive lighting Rectangle Motor vehicle Font Material property
Grille Car Automotive tire Hood Vehicle

·
Founding Member
6,625 Posts
I clicked expecting a Von Dutch treatment. But that's cool too. The average Joe wouldn't know the difference probably. And I don't care for key fobs personally, just another oversized object to carry around in the pocket (When they weigh me at my doctor's office before scolding me about my diet, I can lose two pounds instantly by unloading my pockets of cell phones and modern keyless remotes). So at least one old analog key fob has gone to an actual good use.

Reactions: dchein

·
Registered
1985 P-type, manual
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I figured that if it worked for me, someone else might use it (or improve it... :) )

Hey Phil, I had to look up Von Dutch, so I had my learning moment of the day! The only keychain fobs that I use are for my Supra, since it's "special"...

·
Registered
1985 P-type, manual
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update. It stayed on though a car wash, and a highway drive. Still looks good from head on, but the tape has expanded a little, so there is a small gap around the sides now. Pretty sure it’ll be a loose projectile someday if I leave it as is.

Plan B. If I can find a reasonably solid, plastic-lIke material of the right thickness, I can just use that with emblem adhesive. This will probably involve sanding and testing, but I think it is still safely doable.

Anyone with a 3-D printer ever try anything like this? A base with matching pegs that go in the small mounting holes on the front of the car would be fantastic. Heck, that would even be able to match the slight curvature too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts