Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, This may get a little lengthy, so bare with me. I was in my girlfriend's 98 maxima on the interstate when a guy in a mid 90's trans-am got off the on ramp ahead of me. I was going about 85 when I passed him. He seemed determined to show me up, so he kept up with me through traffic waiting for a chance to pass. It came shortly after we broke through the traffic. He went to the outside lane before I got the chance, I gunned it as he was going by, then moved into his lane. We were at about 100MPH at this point, and he had three car lengths on me. I wasn't making any ground on him(it was open interstate ahead of us with no traffic in sight)when I looked down at the speedo the first time;which read 110. I started to gain on him shortly after it pulled through 130. He must have let off of it then because I started to catch him pretty quick, and then decided to let off before I got a "go to jail free" card. I HAD NO IDEA A MAXIMA WAS THAT DAMN FAST!!. :shock: It was still pulling like mad when I let off. I would have thought a trans-am could walk away from that nissan like it wasn't even in the race. I have been teasing my girlfriend that my supra would smoke her maxima, but never raced her (she is an exceptional driver, and loves to drive fast). I'm now affraid that I will be terribly embarrassed when she blows the paint off the doors!! :wink: I was very impressed with the whole thing, and just thought I would share the story. 8)

Christopher

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I am not mistaken, all trans-ams are v8. The v6 is the firebird. Either the car was running bad, or he was on it just enough to keep in front of me. I can't see any other reason why he didn't walk on me completely. I was just very impressed that the nissan was that fast. I think it would take a v6 f-body.

·
Registered
209 Posts
If the car said "Trans-Am" then it was a V8. What body style was it? 1992 was the last year of the 80's body and the L98 engine. 1993 was the first year of the new body stlye and the LT-1 engine. The L98 is a very torquey motor, but runs out of breath by about 4500 RPM, so it is best suited for standing starts as it is very strong off the line (as least as strong as my LS-1 Vette). The LT-1 is weaker down low but will pull strongly to 5000 RPM at least. I don't know what year the Maxima's started getting 225HP, but I know it was somewhere around 98-2000. That Maxima would make a F-body work to stay ahead, but the T/A should win unless it is dogged out or being driven badly.

If your GF does have one of he newer Maxima's, unless your MkII is modded pretty heavily, she will destroy you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts