Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, ok so Klearz is not really interested in helping the MK2 guys lol, So I wasted a bunch of time with them and ended up with it being nothing more then a pain in the ass, So I myself am in the manufacturing industry (Plastics) So I said screw it I can use my connections to look into it and possibly get it done myself, So I contacted a facility I use and have a good relationship with,

The long and the short being is can get it done with there fancy pro equipment lol, But cost will be slightly $10 more then Klearz, $100 per set, Shipping would be extra depending on location but there small and light so cant be too much, it would be around a 6-8 weeks lead time as there very busy, So we would need like 20-25 pre-orders (I can confirm) to justify them doing it, also would need a good original set as a master, someone said there was sets without markings, I would prefer to use those if possible as we are making a copy of a Toyota part, or we can copy the Klearz even,

So I figure we can start with the 1984-1986 1/2 L style lenses and then after that can try to help with other lenses if people are interested,like1982-1983 style, and can also look into front fender and rear fender lenses as well, Even maybe euro style and those small fender turn signal lights in Europe, Again all pending interest,

Also I think there is also stuff that our cars need, like sunroof rubbers lol, armrest padding plus a bunch of other stuff possibly even custom stuff, So I think I can help everyone please share thoughts and even ideas, So I will need help with a set of good lenses or anything else we decide to do unless I have a good part myself,

the colors for the lenses I can look into are

clear (Obviously)
smoked
yellow?

oh and I have selling references such as 100% feedback with over 1720+ positives on Ebay, Also sold some stuff on FB,
clear_.png

·
Registered
84 Posts
That's impressive to set up a new mold with such low upfront cost.

Short run injection molding costs must have come down significantly.

Polycarbonate?

Or vacuum formed acrylic?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I might be interested in a smoked set, I would like to see the final product though
well they will be as good or better then Klearz it would not be made in some guys bathroom on a Saturday lol, Problem is I will only move forward if there's interest and we would need to do preorders, so its not like a store thing were I would order extra sets to hope other people buy, ill make sets for who wants them, I want them for me so that's how this whole thing started,

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's impressive to set up a new mold with such low upfront cost.

Short run injection molding costs must have come down significantly.

Polycarbonate?

Or vacuum formed acrylic?
they would be made in a transparent UV resistant type ABS is the best way to explain it, they will not brittle like the originals, there is many different resins and shores as well as properties available these days, there not vac formed no, I work on production of different products overseas but we have some things still needed to be done locally, if the numbers were huge id go to China but our cars are niche and im not prepared to put up big money to do that, im just trying to help fellow MK2 guys like me, these lenses are really like primitive to the things im used to lol,

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ah gotcha.
Interesting.

I machined my own mold to cast vacuum degassed urethane front subframe bushings for the MKIII. So I understand exactly what you mean.

So you will probably utilize crystal clear 202 or a similar product for these.

Good to see others also dedicated to these older vehicle platforms.!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah gotcha.
Interesting.

I machined my own mold to cast vacuum degassed urethane front subframe bushings for the MKIII. So I understand exactly what you mean.

So you will probably utilize crystal clear 202 or a similar product for these.

Good to see others also dedicated to these older vehicle platforms.!
yes these is some of us dedicated lol, it would be easier if I could just go to a site order then there here in a few days but not the case with these cars, I am not sure what exact resin as I would need to see what has the best properties for this usage, as its on the front so there prone to impact from rocks or whatever, so it needs to be hard that wont crack and transparent as there thin lenses, so I don't do things half ass lol,

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nobody interested? please share your thoughts as I would only need a deposit from everyone to confirm there interested, if anyone has questions with anything or concerns like quality or something just ask,

·
Founding Member
6,250 Posts
You might need to give it at least a month or two. I've noted that a lot of our old crew have gotten to where they only log in here maybe once a month or less. After only a couple of days I doubt more than a few have seen this thread yet. Personally I'm just not interested in making that particular cosmetic modification but I wish you luck.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You might need to give it at least a month or two. I've noted that a lot of our old crew have gotten to where they only log in here maybe once a month or less. After only a couple of days I doubt more than a few have seen this thread yet. Personally I'm just not interested in making that particular cosmetic modification but I wish you luck.
ok I understand and I appreciate the heads up, at the end of the day I just put it out there not really losing sleep over it lol, Previous thread appeared to have interest so I assumed this one would too given why I looked into things,

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i am in the process of organizing I can get it done we just need enough people to do it, I would only require a deposit from the people interested so ill add more info in the next few coming days, I had already had help from 3SFED with getting a set to have them made,

·
Registered
29 Posts
i just want to be completely sure of what you are talking about before I get my hopes up. Are you talking about the large rear lenses (signal, brake reverse). If so I’m in
thanks

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i just want to be completely sure of what you are talking about before I get my hopes up. Are you talking about the large rear lenses (signal, brake reverse). If so I’m in
thanks
I updated the 1st post with the lenses to start with, there for the front and can work on other lenses after if there is interest, the rear lenses in clear would be possible but let start with something small, were you thinking the entire rear lenses in full clear?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Still interested. These are for the usdm styled lenses? If I supplied, a euro/jdm lense, would they be able to make a run on those as well?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey guys, ok so Klearz is not really interested in helping the MK2 guys lol, So I wasted a bunch of time with them and ended up with it being nothing more then a pain in the ass, So I myself am in the manufacturing industry (Plastics) So I said screw it I can use my connections to look into it and possibly get it done myself, So I contacted a facility I use and have a good relationship with,

The long and the short being is can get it done with there fancy pro equipment lol, But cost will be slightly $10 more then Klearz, $100 per set, Shipping would be extra depending on location but there small and light so cant be too much, it would be around a 6-8 weeks lead time as there very busy, So we would need like 20-25 pre-orders (I can confirm) to justify them doing it, also would need a good original set as a master, someone said there was sets without markings, I would prefer to use those if possible as we are making a copy of a Toyota part, or we can copy the Klearz even,

So I figure we can start with the 1984-1986 1/2 L style lenses and then after that can try to help with other lenses if people are interested,like1982-1983 style, and can also look into front fender and rear fender lenses as well, Even maybe euro style and those small fender turn signal lights in Europe, Again all pending interest,

Also I think there is also stuff that our cars need, like sunroof rubbers lol, armrest padding plus a bunch of other stuff possibly even custom stuff, So I think I can help everyone please share thoughts and even ideas, So I will need help with a set of good lenses or anything else we decide to do unless I have a good part myself,

the colors for the lenses I can look into are

clear (Obviously)
smoked
yellow?

oh and I have selling references such as 100% feedback with over 1720+ positives on Ebay, Also sold some stuff on FB, View attachment 13866
So are you going to make them for the 86 1/2 or stopping at 86. 86.5 was the major model change. 86 is the same as an 85

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So are you going to make them for the 86 1/2 or stopping at 86. 86.5 was the major model change. 86 is the same as an 85
These ones would be 84 85 86 for the MK2 only, I can look into 82 83 after, I figured I would do my car 1st lol...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts