Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes when i go to start my car it dosent do anything but click. The battery, starter and altenator all tested good so whats up? Usualy it starts without a problem but every now and then I have to turn the key 10-15 times before it starts.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Could be starter contacts. $15 L-shaped copper contacts that wear out inside the starter. Common wear item in Toyotas.

·
Registered
793 Posts
In the solenoid, most likely. Mine did that and all I had to do was replace the copper contacts in the solenoid. Not a big deal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem with my supra. My buddy and i tested everything just like you and it was all good but the problem was the selinoid was engaging (the clicking sound) but wasnt firing the starter. This is due to a bad spot on the starter, and unless a good point on the starter is on the selinoid when the car is turned off it may take awhile. For mine we replaced the selinoid and rebuilt the starter. Roughly $65-70. Good luck.

·
Registered
209 Posts
These guys are probably right about your issue, but if you fix/replace the starter and you still have the problem, replace/clean ALL of your battery cable connections.

I had a situation where I replaced the battery, starter, and checked the cables for continuity and all I would get was a click, and then a "dead battery" situation with no dome light or anything. Turned out there was corrosion in the connector on the positive cable and that was the culprit the whole time!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
It IS the contacts in the starter. The exact same thing happened to my Celica. Replaced the contacts and all was well. I can't tell you the time to change 'em if you do it yourself. I went to a shop someone recommended for the starter contacts and had all intention of buying them and DIY. The guy said, "We're not busy, if you want I'll put them in for ya for a few bucks." Couldn't pass that up and having a lift is easier than sliding in and out from under the car. Once the starter is removed it's just a matter of a few screws and a few minutes to pull the old contacts and drop in a couple new ones.

A few loose screws.
Scott

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well i swiched out the starter for a new one and it seems to have solved my problems. But damn that one bolt is hard to get, plus when i finally got it off I droped the starter right on my chin. :oops: So be carful

1 - 8 of 8 Posts