Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recently got an oil change for the first time since I purchased it. *stored it for 4 months during winter*

anyways..

I was in a rush, and noticed the oil was low/dirty, so I didn't bother to do it myself. Took it into a quickie oil change place *hate*... my q is, would they have noticed or asked if it was running synthetic before? will switching to reg be harmful?

I never asked prev. owner unfortunately, nor do I have records for that. Will I be hurting the engine if so?

sorry...REALLY noob question I know.

·
Registered
325 Posts
just run normal gtx motor oil thats what i run

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
No you won't hurt the engine. You'll be aight. Don't be scurred.

I've had people come through my shop go from conventional to synthetic knowing damn well the engine ain't been rebuilt, and also from syn back to conventional with no problems.

Just like mixing octanes. I haven't done that only cause I'm not buying anything other than 87, but do you think I'm gonna drain the 87 before I put in some 89 if I wanted to?

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Mixing syn and dino is ok. Problem can arise when adding syn to an old engine that's been using dino. The syn cleans the gunk around the seals and the seals start to leak.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
there's no way to definitively tell if you engine was running synthetic or not.

you can mix synthetic and dino oil without problem (i.e. if you are in a pinc hand need to top up). there is no downside from switching from synthetic to regular oil or visa versa.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts