Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Nothing in manual about this button

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  RedP85 
#1 ·
Hey Fellow Supra Owners

I just bought a 1985 Supra with manual transmission, everything is stock but there is a button just to the right of the steering column that is not anywhere in the owners manual. I have included a picture in the attachments.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Jay

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I think somebody has added that switch, maybe a fog light mod? That was a blanking plate where the optional trip computer buttons would have been. I tried to find a picture, but of the bazillions of pictures on the internet, unfortunately you apparently can't easily search pictures. About 1,000 pictures of the digital dash come up, zoomed in tight to the instrument readout, but if anyone ever took a picture that showed the trip computer controls, they didn't associate the right keywords with it. Maybe somebody who owns one with a trip computer would be kind enough to take a picture?

#6 ·
Maybe somebody who owns one with a trip computer would be kind enough to take a picture?
Here is one :

Canadian P type!

#3 ·
I think somebody has added that switch, maybe a fog light mod? That was a blanking plate where the optional trip computer buttons would have been. I tried to find a picture, but of the bazillions of pictures on the internet, unfortunately you apparently can't easily search pictures. About 1,000 pictures of the digital dash come up, zoomed in tight to the instrument readout, but if anyone ever took a picture that showed the trip computer controls, they didn't associate the right keywords with it. Maybe somebody who owns one with a trip computer would be kind enough to take a picture?
Thanks very much that is exactly what it is
Very much Appreciated

#4 ·
Yes, that's the perfect spot to mount switches for fog lights, manual antenna control, remote radar detector, and the like, without having to butcher the dash or console.

55547-14010-02 Cover, Remote Control Mirror Hole TERRA COTTA,RED/MAROON

Unfortunately, the part is no longer available in any colour. The description says 'Cover, Remote Control Mirror Hole' but Phil is absolutely correct about what the spot was used for.

From the picture, your car looks very original with factory stereo. You will have to post pictures of the car.
Where in Canada are you located?

Oh, and I just can't let this go.....sexy leg!

Dale

#8 ·
Yes, that's the perfect spot to mount switches for fog lights, manual antenna control, remote radar detector, and the like, without having to butcher the dash or console.

55547-14010-02 Cover, Remote Control Mirror Hole TERRA COTTA,RED/MAROON

Unfortunately, the part is no longer available in any colour. The description says 'Cover, Remote Control Mirror Hole' but Phil is absolutely correct about what the spot was used for.

From the picture, your car looks very original with factory stereo. You will have to post pictures of the car.
Where in Canada are you located?

Oh, and I just can't let this go.....sexy leg!

Dale
Nice to meet you Dale
The car is very original except for a new muffler. Unfortunately the tape deck will not play, i am currently looking for a new one that will play my old cassettes. I don't want to add an aftermarket one as i am trying to keep everything original.
I'll make sure i shave for ant future pictures...:)

#5 ·
Welcome to the board!

Yeah if you put your location in your profile it will tell us when we hover the mouse over the little Canadian flag. There's a bunch of us from all over this country here!

If you can find an unbutchered dash plate cover, you could relocate whatever that button does for you to the center console as manual cars always have at least one spare spot there and its not too hard to get extra fog light switches or a spare wiper switch from early car

#9 ·
Nice to meet you too.

As the man of the world, Red Green says,“If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.”. Well as a corollary to that truism, "or they should find you warm in the winter."
Real men have body hair...and lots of it.

It seems like most of the OEM cassette decks stopped playing tapes. About 9 years ago I took the cassette mechanism out of the stereo and took it to an old-time electronics repair shop. A real hole in the wall. The fellow told me that there is a nylon drive gear that cracks which causes the cassette to jam. He charged me maybe $30 to replace the part.

Unfortunately, his shop is long gone, and I didn't take pictures of the part, but once you get the mechanism out, which IS a real bear, if a shop has the gear, it's not very difficult or expensive to replace it.

So whatever you do, don't throw the deck or the cassette mechanism away. Someone out there will be able to fix it. If I can find any more information on the gear, I will let you know, but I don't think I have the part number. It was one he pulled out of a parts box full of nylong wheels and gears.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.