Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, i have a 94 gmc safari van for sale and a guy is wanting to trade me a 94 nissan hardbody pickup for it.

does anyone have any experience with the nissan pick ups? i know im asking on a toyota forum but with all the research ive been trying to do on google and finding nissan forums ive determined that we (celicasupra) have the best forum in terms of layout, knowledge, and support. not to mention, i didnt wanna talk to a bunch of d-bags with their lowered and bagged trucks thinking theyre hot shit.

im thinking of using the truck as my "winter beater" even though i live in georgia and we have 2 seasons...nice and HOT AS HELL.... but anyway....

i appeciate any input. im going to try to go look at it today.

specs both vehicles.

1994 GMC safari cargo van.
4.3L V6
193000 miles
new front brake pads. runs good. decent tires. metal cage behind seats with metal shelving in back. ladder rack on roof. no a/c. aftermarket cd player with aux input.

to trade for a:

1994 nissan d21 hardbody pickup.
reg cab. short bed.
179,000 miles
recent clutch
4cyl, 5spd.
needs new front brakes.
supposedly runs good. guy said he drives it 30miles round trip to work and back just needs more room to haul tools for work.

van is worth more according to KBB....

lemme know what yall think.

-Danny

·
Premium Member
3,656 Posts
Hardbodies are great trucks if properly maintained...kinda like your van. They do get pretty good gas mileage (co worker reports 30+ on a regular basis in his 97 KA24 2WD Xcab)

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok. thanks mark. thats what ive been hearing.

ive heard everything from "great truck. have 300,000 miles on mine and wouldnt trade it for anything" all the way to "this is a piece of shit. parts are expensive as hell. they have electrical problems and there are no aftermarket parts."

my granddad has a 90 hardbody and it runs good and hasnt had any problems with it. in the research i did though i could barely find anything aftermarket for it.

i figure it could be a good little beater to have to haul whatever i need around town and get pretty good mileage at the same time. keep me from driving the 2004 chevy 2500hd crewcab with a gooseneck hitch and stiff suspension with a 6.0L vortec that gets 10mpg. lol.

thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
244 Posts
i had a 89 2wd, Z2.4 4cyl, 5spd. it has 8 plugs, 2per cyl, i put splitfires in it and saw a noticeable increase in both power and milage. i could haul a large square hay bale 4x4x8 foot about 1200pounds and easily get up to 60mph. i am trying to buy one off my friend with a 302 V8 and C4 conversion. its running the stock rearend it that gives you any idea of how tuff these little trucks can be.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm. i will have to keep that in mind. thats awesome. i didnt know it had 8 plugs. im gonna have to go outside and look at my granddads 90 nissan.

i prefer toyota above all now that i own 3 supras and have done much research on the 5m's 7m's 22re's, etc. but i will not have a problem with a nissan. maybe i can find someone to trade for a toyota...lol.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Cousin has one and used it for work. Drove it everyday and nary a problem for a loooonnngg time. It started having some check engine light issues and o2 sensor stuff but mechanically it ran great. Good luck.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok. thanks man. im feelin better about getting it now. im probably going to do an even trade with the guy since my van has some cosmetic issues and needs to be cleaned up pretty good. also missing a couple door handles.

if the guy is happy with the van i will be all set.

if the trade goes through i will post pics later.

thanks for all the input! :)

·
Super Moderator
8,356 Posts
No recent experience but I seem to remember they were pretty well built back when they were new. If its a 4x4 note that it will have the turning radius of a battleship which makes for really annoying u-turns..

·
Registered
313 Posts
My dad used to have a really similar truck, although I think a bit older. It did REALLY good on gas! Most of the time I think he averaged around 32-33 mpg.. And the only thing we had to replace on it during the time we had it (4 years..?) was oil, tires, and power steering hoses, and coils. It was a great truck, and could even haul our huge horse trailer (although that was pretty sketch). I guess there might not be any snow where you live, but if you go a road trip somewhere cold make sure you bring sand bags!! That truck was a monster on ice. Good luck!
-Paul

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
you r good with that truck, an good without the KA24, hate that KA24 timing chain broke at 110K in my ex 99 altima n boy that engine sucks!!!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i didnt trade for the truck. we both ended up just leaving it with "i'll take a couple days to think about it."

then tonight i sold the van to a guy that saw it on craigslist and that i had talked to a few months ago about it.

thanks for the advice on the truck though. im gonna save my pennies and get me a yota...

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
If I really wanted a compact truck, I would've went Yota. I don't care how long I had to save up. But I didn't want one and didn't want to spend that kind of money on a truck. When it comes to compact, you can't beat the 22R or RE ha. Hardbody's are pretty trucks, but there's a reason running Toyota trucks carry their price tag.

But I wanted full size. If only Yota made a full size truck in the 80s....

Wonder what they woulda called it?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yes. yota FTMFWMF!!!!

and i love trucks. and supras.... thats about it. lol. my first car was my 85 celicasupra. i have now bought 2 more. first vehicle was a 99 dodge ram pickup. i cant live if i do not have a truck. with the work i do and goin fishin and haulin stuff and everything i do i need a truck.

definitely gonna save up and maybe sell my 89 gmc jimmy (full size 2dr blazer) and get me a yota. i love the early 80's yota trucks. just gotta find one local thats not a POS or expensive as hell...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts