Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking through this for laws on plate placement (put my front plate in the windshield) and I found this...

11.) Are "Altezza" or European tail/brake light and front marker lenses legal for street use in Oregon?
Answer: Oregon has adopted the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108 for lighting equipment. The standard is very specific for tail/brake light lenses and front side marker light lenses. The standard requires red lenses (not red bulbs) for the tail/brake lights and red rear and side reflex reflectors and red side marker lights. A separate rear side marker light and reflex reflector may also be allowed for the rear lighting system to meet the standard. The front side marker lens lights can be either white or amber (yellow) and must also have an amber (yellow) reflex reflector incorporated into the lens or have a separate side marker light and reflex reflector to meet the standard.

So, the answer to the question is in most cases after-market (non-original equipment) "Altezza" or European tail/brake and front marker light lenses are NOT legal for street use in Oregon. They usually lack the required reflex reflectors and side marker lights. Here is a link to a Web site with more information. http://fmvss108.tripod.com Note the "Recalls" section. Most all of the after-market "Altezza" and European lenses have been recalled for not meeting FMVSS 108. (ORS 816.010).

The full set of rules is at
http://www.odot.state.or.us/transafety/Veh_Equipment.htm#11

Is it me, or does that mean most of the Hondas around here aren't street legal? :? (not that I have a right to talk with my foglight mods... but still, at least those are subtle and can be turned off)

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
I've seen tons of cars around with the clear light convertion i think that to cops just don't go to the trouble to enforce it...

IMO

will

·
Super Moderator
8,356 Posts
Most of the new ones are legal. The one that were illegal are the ones with an all clear lenses with red and amber bulbs. These were the ones that looked sorta like factory lights without the red tint. This is why most of the newer ones look like IS300 lights with the small red lenses under a clear cover. You can get by with an amber bulb in the rear and a back reflector for the turn signals. In the front you need an amber lense over the bulb (no matter how small). I know in CA they will nail you for anything illegal on the car now. Ever since the street racing became a "menace" they nail you for everything, being too low, smog violation, loud exhaust, blue ricer lights, clear corner bulbs, too huge of a wing. But they can't nail you for bad taste (i.e 90% decal coverage on a car and freaky color paint jobs)

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I think it's absolute comedy that they call them 'Euro' tails when they originated in Japan. :lol:

...and it's even funnier when I see them on Ford trucks, etc. :) :roll: :cry:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts