Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 p type celica supra
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all so I have a conundrum on my hands yesterday I was driving home in the Celica and I hit a bump and the O\D light started blinking like I had a problem I got back to my place and shut her off and I’m the morning on my way to work the light would blink erratically on and off sometimes with the bumps and other times not does any one have any ideas and would bigger rims and tires effect the speed sensor?

·
Founding Member
6,764 Posts
It blinks out a code for whatever it thinks is wrong with the transmission. Bigger diameter tires won't affect it as it has no idea what rpm the tires are doing relative to the transmission output shaft. But sounds like something is triggering it to blink out its code, like maybe a short somewhere. Read through the diagnostics here:

·
Registered
85 p type celica supra
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
O/D light, isn't that on only when its turned off? Sorry, I don't have an auto, but I believe the flashing, if its erratic, could just be a connection came loose with that bump you hit.
It comes on when the switch is off correct but apparently it’s supposed to flash when in diag mode or having issues and I think ur right and I’m just gonna have to get the ramps out and get to searchin

·
Super Moderator
7,921 Posts
The diagnostic connector is by the battery, and is same shape as the clutch of AC compressor.

·
Founding Member
6,764 Posts
Try checking for codes first at home. When doing diagnostics and repairs, always do the easiest, least expensive thing first. Don't know how many times people drop a whole transmission, hours and hours worth of work, car is offline for weeks ro months, only to conclude in the end that a linkage only needed adjustment or something crazy simple. To check for codes, follow the instructions posted. Note that your car won't be bouncing down the road while checking for codes so if the blinking is in fact trying to give you an error code, then it shouldn't be erratic as if a wire was loose plus you won't be distracted trying to drive and count blinks at the same time. If it has an error code stored, you'll see something like blink blink blink blink..pause...blink blink..pause..blink blink blink blink..pause...blink blink...pause, repeating over and over. That'd be a code 42. You haven't mentioned if there's any other symptoms, like delayed shifting, not going into overdrive, lurching, etc.

·
Registered
85 p type celica supra
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Try checking for codes first at home. When doing diagnostics and repairs, always do the easiest, least expensive thing first. Don't know how many times people drop a whole transmission, hours and hours worth of work, car is offline for weeks ro months, only to conclude in the end that a linkage only needed adjustment or something crazy simple. To check for codes, follow the instructions posted. Note that your car won't be bouncing down the road while checking for codes so if the blinking is in fact trying to give you an error code, then it shouldn't be erratic as if a wire was loose plus you won't be distracted trying to drive and count blinks at the same time. If it has an error code stored, you'll see something like blink blink blink blink..pause...blink blink..pause..blink blink blink blink..pause...blink blink...pause, repeating over and over. That'd be a code 42. You haven't mentioned if there's any other symptoms, like delayed shifting, not going into overdrive, lurching, etc.
Thank you buddy I will definitely check on those when I get off work (finally get some time to look at her) and I will check the code and I’m sorry I ment to put that in it’s been not wanting to down shift at lights when coming to a quick stop and then when I have the switch in power mode it takes until almost 65 in third to get o/d but in eco mode it does what it’s supposed to (except for the quick stop down shift) and only in the morning it has a hard shift 1-2 and from what I was reading on the diag page that was sent is that I might have valve body issues but here again I need to run some codes and start there for sure

·
Registered
853 Posts
In case you don't have it:

The EFI and AT sections should get you through the diagnosis with the flashing lights. Remember, if you cannot get the check engine light to flash properly and you're sure you have the check connector shorted, your TPS is most likely mis-adjusted and you'll have to deal with that first.

·
Registered
85 p type celica supra
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In case you don't have it:

The EFI and AT sections should get you through the diagnosis with the flashing lights. Remember, if you cannot get the check engine light to flash properly and you're sure you have the check connector shorted, your TPS is most likely mis-adjusted and you'll have to deal with that first.
Sweet thank you I will definitely keep that in mind and I’ll update u guys tonight when I do some lookin

1 - 15 of 15 Posts