Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question is for those who have a pacesetter header and modified it to put the sensor in direct contact with the exhaust. When i modified mine I just welded a nut in the center of the Y collector where I cut the long tube off and that lets the sensor screw right into it. Did anyone else do it differently? Can the sensor I use be one labled as universal? The one I have now is universal and I dont think its sending the correct signal to the ECU and I get horrible gas mileage and my exhaust smells very rich.

·
Super Moderator
10,577 Posts
My gas milage hasen't worsened sine I've installed my exhaust, header and intake pipe, in fact I think its gotten better, but the car does pop very loudly know between shifts, and I know I have no leaks in the system so I'm thinking its running a little rich under WOT and backfiring a little. That and I get very black soot on my shiny new tips.

As for the header, on mine I cut the flange off the o2 sensor piece and welded two bolts into it so I could use the stock o2 sensor, then welded the flange directly to the pipe after the ypipe. You can see it here...

http://www.pbase.com/image/20469022

btw for anyone is going to do this or make a custom bottom half for a pacesetter, thats the wrong side to put the o2 sensor on. We screwed up and welded the last pipe on the wrong way and didn't have enough space to cut it off and reweld it above the o2 flange. With a bit of help from my hammer, the o2 sensor just clears :shock:

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
SupraFiend said:
My gas milage hasen't worsened sine I've installed my exhaust, header and intake pipe, in fact I think its gotten better, but the car does pop very loudly know between shifts, and I know I have no leaks in the system so I'm thinking its running a little rich under WOT and backfiring a little. That and I get very black soot on my shiny new tips.
I get the same thing but I have the DT headers :?

BTW those Half Pacesetter, half custom, Ceramic Coated Headers you got there :humpleg: :bling:

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
that is a damn nice header...

if only i wasnt going turbo, but maybe ill get the 7m manifold coated :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah i backfire on shifts and have the black soot on my tip too but once my car warms up the exhaust smells horrible. When the car is cold it smells fine so thats why i think my o2 sensor is the problem. Also I have no cat so that may be part of my problem too :roll:

·
Premium Member
5,576 Posts
You may need a heated O2 sensor if your sensor is located further away from the head than normal. It has an extra wire that supplies heater voltage

·
Registered
147 Posts
SupraDOHC said:
Yeah i backfire on shifts and have the black soot on my tip too but once my car warms up the exhaust smells horrible. When the car is cold it smells fine so thats why i think my o2 sensor is the problem. Also I have no cat so that may be part of my problem too :roll:
Sounds like the same problem I'm having with my car...I'm getting this horrible smell from the exhaust and the tip is quite black as well...happens when the car has warmed up. I'm getting poor mileage also... :(

Would you say it's a bad O2 sensor? I have a 5M-E engine btw.

Can you buy new 02 sensor's from Toyota, if so, how much are they and are they easy to install?

Thanx heaps.

·
Super Moderator
10,577 Posts
yes they're very easy to install. Aftermarket ones are fairly cheap too. Bosche ones seem to be ok. Actually my supra can only take Bosche ones now, the oem ones don't work. The bosche ones are about an inch shorter and clear my firewall :lol:

SupraDOHC, is your pacesetter coated? If not then maybe the heat is part of your problem as a bare tubular steel header will leach alot of heat out before the o2 sensor location. I was thinking I just needed a little fuel tunning. The car seems to be pretty stoich everywhere but WOT. Going by smells, sounds and feels though, I'm going to invest in a wideband soon. For instance, I know the mk4 NAs blow fire out the tailpipe if you put a header on them. At least till you reset the ecu and it relearns everything.

Thanks for the header comments guys. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Of course the primaries aren't nearly that shiny anymore. Might be worth trying the jet hot sterling silver coating if I ever do this again.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My header just had the black coating that flaked off about 15 mins after installing it. About 2 months ago I sprayed some black heat paint on it and that has stayed on nicely. My local NAPA store can do ceramc coating in and out for about $100 a header so maybe I might do that if a new o2 sensor doesn't work. My car seems to run pretty good, its just the bad gas mileage and the exhaust smell.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I remember looking at your header before you got it coated, Seamus, now all I have to say is WOW, that thing looks gorgeous!

·
Registered
147 Posts
SupraDOHC said:
My car seems to run pretty good, its just the bad gas mileage and the exhaust smell.
You have my car by the sounds of it...that's exactly how I would sum up mine...lol...If you solve the smelly exhaust + lousy mileage problem I will personally fly over to where you live and pat you on the back, for you will have saved me from an ongoing headache my friend... ;)

·
Registered
191 Posts
i have the same headers..(pacesetter) i just put the o2 where it was, up the long tube, ( i thought that it was VERY wierd why they put it there)
.. it seems to be fine, i have black soot too.. i shouldnt, should i relocate o2?? maybe mine is bunk..?? ps..ALL of my exhuast is new, incl.. cat

1 - 13 of 13 Posts