Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This started a few days ago, but has only happened twice, I've stopped using the car temporarily until I figure out what is causing this.

1988 Toyota Camry 170 000 miles
2.0 3sfe
Automatic 3 speed with overdrive.

A few days ago I was driving, and while accelerating the car lurked oddly, it gave me the impression the transmission shifted hard, lifted the motor and slammed it back down because of a broken engine mount, I thought. The mounts look ok. That wasnt so bad, it was an odd feeling but didnt break anything....so

Then yesterday I was driving at about 45 mph on a gentle curb getting onto the straight on the service road and I hear a little bit of metal clamouring in the engine compartment, I say to myself, thats not a good sound, no more than 10 seconds later and all of a sudden the car makes a HUGE bang from the front end and scares the SHIT out of me, the second it startled me I shoved it into neutral. But everything seemed fine...

Now the noise was NOT like hitting a pothole in any way. The whole front of the car lurched, it almost felt like the underside of the middle of the engine smashed into a huge piece of concrete.

I was cruising at 45, no gas just cruising. I would assume the car was in OD by now. I drove it home, all seemed fine.

I checked the engine mounts they SEEM fine, but I have yet to jack it up and look properly, but by putting the car in gear and watching the engine, its not moving excessively to indicate a broken mount.

BUT when I put the car in park on a slight incline the car moves about 1.5 feet before it catches park, this just started happening with the introduction of this bang.

What could the problem be?

I'm thinking a bolt came loose in the diff part of the transaxle and is jamming in the gears.... thats what it feels like anyway...

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
how the trans fluid look ? about the car moves about 1.5 feet before catch Park mmm is not normal i guess, not that long, u can lift each side at the time, and put it in Drive n try to go around 60 n maybe u can catch your noise again.

hope is not a trans problem.

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the trans fluid is really nice, pale red, no bad smell

and I wont say its a noise, its more of a feeling. The whole dash jumps for a split second and all you feel is BANG then everything is cool. No check engine, no OD light flashing.

I just dont get it right now. I'm eating lunch and I'm going to go jack it up and have a close look at the axles and see if there is anything damaged.

·
Premium Member
6,134 Posts
Sounds Axle/Diff related, the auto in the camry(A140 or 540) has an integral diff. You "should" be able to see pieces of metal on dipstick, or from drain plug of trans, if internal diff pieces(ring gear, etc.) are shot. Id suggest giving halfshafts a very thourough inspection. Get the front end off the ground, watch how shaft behaves during transitions. Take it to a close open place, and do repeated circles left and right, while in forward and reverse, see if you can replicate. "Possibly", the axle is trying to slip out, the bang you feel is spline engaging...

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have it up right now and I see there is something wrong.

I leave the car in park with the wheels off the ground. I turn the drivers side wheel, it rotates about 1/3 of a turn before it engages the other wheel to spin in the opposite direction .... :ugh:

This car also has "bolted" on axles not slip in "clip" style like the 1991. I pulled on the axle on the drivers side, and the portion that is "inside" the transmission that the axle is bolted onto moves around, you can wiggle it. I find that very strange...

I have a spare transmission from an 1991 Camry LE so worst case scenario I swap that in. But I obviously want to confirm failure of my current transmission before I get into swapping that. But the only problem are the axles, I dont have spare clip ins. So if I wanted to swap it out I would have to buy 2 new drive axles "clip in" style. gay.

here is the difference of the axles for your reference.

1988 bolted style

1991 clipped style

·
Premium Member
6,134 Posts
Jamie, make sure the trans you put in is same "series". IE, A140 goes where A140 was. You have major control/mounting differences between two trans, even though Pans/Cases look similar. The FWD version of an output shaft is probably what is messed up, from your description. Too bad.

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
edit: forget to just check the firewall plate.

JT2SV21F6J0165991 is the vin

but how do I figure out what the other trans I have is?

·
Premium Member
6,134 Posts
Vin from other car, or side cover and pan gasket hole count. Its been awhile, but IIRC, even though covers look identical, bolt count is different.

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found a cast on the cover on the transmission, it just say A140 no indication of L or E. But from what I see from the camry manual the only difference was the ECT control on the transmission. Thats what made them different. My car has it and I'm almost positive the car I took it from had the little button for ECT.

That would make it an E if the 91 I parted had the ECT button right?

I dont think I have the registration papers from the other car anymore :32: so I dont know what the VIN is, man stupid.

I'm going to unbolt the spare trans from the block flip it and count the bolts. Wish me luck.

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I count 15 bolts that hold the transmission pan to the transmission in BOTH cases.

I havnt gotten the trans off yet from the spare motor.

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well I found out what made the bang. This picture should sum it up well. This came out of the diff on the a140E on my car.

going to be starting to take down the transmission this evening. FUN

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
We'll I found my problem. And I know you guys like carnage so I'll share. 270 000 k and it popped a tranny.

Drained the fluid in the diff housing of the transaxle.

Found the above: this afternoon.

And tonight I did this. I have to get some parts before I can install the replacement transmission.

And as we can see, the differential exploded.

replacement

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
that happen when u use the Raptor wheels !!! :laugh::zzzzz:

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
there too sticky, they break the diff :p

But hey, I figured out what the bang was and it cost me nothing on towing.

IT DROVE HOME LIKE THIS. Didnt even make any noise.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
there too sticky, they break the diff :p

But hey, I figured out what the bang was and it cost me nothing on towing.

IT DROVE HOME LIKE THIS. Didnt even make any noise.

jaja :thumbsup:

·
is awesome
2,736 Posts
Wow, good on the diagnosis & repair! That's killer and amazing it didn't make noise on the drive home, not to mention that it DROVE HOME like that!

PS. I always like seeing your posts... esp. since it was yours' that inspired me to do my modified suspension on my MKII (Day MotorSports adjustable coil perches etc etc).

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
PS. I always like seeing your posts... esp. since it was yours' that inspired me to do my modified suspension on my MKII (Day MotorSports adjustable coil perches etc etc).

thank you so much, that means a lot to me. :thumbsup: Its so cool that we can still get some innovation going on!

I like passing on what I've learnt and what I have found to work, most of the time by figuring it out the hard way lol.

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well another night down. Transmission job total is about 75% done. The actually trans itself it bolted on the motor, now I just have to put the cross members back and mess around a bit with the axles to fit them.

It went well this evening, but I had some stupid problems like 2 of the wires on the "new" transmission I must have cut when I removed it from the other car, so I had to take the trans harness off the old transmission to splice it together, that went ok just stupid.

Anyways, I took the cover off the blown trans. More carnage pics for you guys. and some ghetto engine mounts. I'm experimenting with PL premium construction adhesive to see if it can be solid enough to re-enforce weak engine mounts. So far looks good but it needs a few days to cure.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
wow. i dunno how you were able to make it home without any issue or noises. i dont think that pl is going to work out that good. that stuff dries hard and the mounts are going to give a little bit. i see it falling off, but i guess it cant hurt to try.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts