Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a common question, but I have searched all over the US to find a shop that will repair an OEM 1984 Supra. I have tried OEM Audio Inc. and Perzan Audi radio without success. Any thoughts on who may repair this unit. Thanks. Bob

· Registered
909 Posts
Do a search for vintage auto radio repair, as well as oem auto radio repair, there's easily a dozen or so places you can can call/email. I'm sure at least one will be able to service it, unless its completely fried beyond repair!

One that looked interesting to me and sounded like what you're looking for:

EDIT:
Was waiting for a job to finish printing and found this one:
Perfect for what you're looking for, since the oem radio is made by Fujitsu "Ten".

· Super Moderator
7,968 Posts
84 MO is a split radio year. Early months had same as 83 with two single DIN units. Late months had same as 85, the big single dual DIN unit.
Here is a link to the latter, and no I don't have the early one.
click here

· Registered
909 Posts
Both units (pre-83 and post 83) were Fujutsu Tens though, so that last link I sent should be just fine. In fact, I don't think Toyota changed to Pioneer/others until 2000-something, all their radios were done by Fujitsu till then. I know my son's '97 limited 4runner came with a Fujitsu, but my wife's '11 4runner was mainly Pioneer, so somewhere between those years they changed manufacturers.

EDIT:
Wow! I didn't notice the link was the whole repair manual for the newer unit! Nice find, Jocelyn! Definitely a pdf for me to keep! Thanks!!!

· Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do a search for vintage auto radio repair, as well as oem auto radio repair, there's easily a dozen or so places you can can call/email. I'm sure at least one will be able to service it, unless its completely fried beyond repair!

EDIT:
Perfect for what you're looking for, since the oem radio is made by Fujitsu "Ten".

EDIT:
thank you. Supra only has 28000 miles and is pristine. Trying anything to keep radio OEM.

· Super Moderator
7,968 Posts
We would suuuure love to see pictures of this pristine car
👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀

· Registered
229 Posts
Out of curiosity, is there anything actually broken in the radio? Usually the plastic gears in the tape deck will go, but most of the rest (knobs, etc) just need some cleaning and lubing with something like DeoxIT. Let us know if they can repair the tape deck though, as I'd likely send mine in.

· Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Out of curiosity, is there anything actually broken in the radio? Usually the plastic gears in the tape deck will go, but most of the rest (knobs, etc) just need some cleaning and lubing with something like DeoxIT. Let us know if they can repair the tape deck though, as I'd likely send mine in.
The radio lights up, raises and lowers the antenna but no sound comes from the radio. Local shop took a quick look and thought it was an issue with the tape deck continually playing though no cassette in it but had no idea how to fix.

In my search I did see one shop in hawaii that states they fix OEM radios from this generation but could not find when I searched again.

· Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We would suuuure love to see pictures of this pristine car
👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀
Probably overpaid for this car. But my first car was an 1984 Supra P Type, and looked for years to find one in excellent shape and low miles. Unfortunately the radio has never worked and have finally gotten around to trying to repair...

· Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

EDIT:
I contacted this repair shop and they do work on the 1984 Supra radio. I will be sending it out and will see how it goes. Thanks for the suggestion!

· Super Moderator
7,968 Posts
We all drolled over that car each time it went on BaT!
Good for you.
Very unfortunate that for the price, the radio is not working.

Keep an eye open, here and fb buy/sell mk2 parts. We see one working go by, once in a while.

· Registered
490 Posts
You did not overpay by very much for a low-milage, original car, especially if you plan to keep it long term and enjoy it. When I saw this car on the corner of a used car lot back in 1987, I ran in immediately and bought it. Paid their asking price without dickering as I wanted to be sure no one else came in and bought it out from under me as it was exactly the car I was looking. An '84 '"P" type with a 5-speed and leather.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

Great find!

Bob

· Registered
490 Posts
BTW, do you know that you need to remove the panel behind the AC/heater controls in order to remove the radio surround without breaking off the top tabs? I don't want to insult your intelligence if you already know, but the surround is hard to find if you break it and need anotrher.

Bob

· Registered
83 Turbo '84 Dk Blue Auto-> 5 Spd... '85 ..gradually acquiring parts to Turbo ... have 82 Engine
1,670 Posts
My cousin was working for a major Electronics Tech company for like 20 years... until it went out of business... then he bought some of the Racks of Testing equipment fr the liquidation sale & had his own business doing all kinds of repairs..
s
He fixed several of my OEM Stereos... & somehow managed to get the OEM Fujitsu Ten Services Technicians Manual.

He kinda retired... & I have the Manual...

It's about 40 pages long & for my Time & the cost of Photocopying ...I can send a copy for $25 plus Postage...if anyone is interested....

Cheers,

· Premium Member
8,853 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts