Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a an 86 MKII with the original OEM stero/Cass/EQ. There was no sound comming from the front speakers. Tested the speakers on a known source, so I assumed it was the receiver. Purchased another OEM stereo from Ebay. Intalled and worked fine (all speakers) until recently. The front right speaker works intermittently. It has sound, I go over a bump then no sound, and back again. I checked the connections and they are clean. It's not the speaker, wire, or harness.
I want to keep the car as OEM as possible. The OEM stereo sound suits me fine. But if the sound from the speaker continues, on/off. I may need to go aftermarket stereo. I could cut off the speaker altogether but the sound is like having one of my ears is clogged.
Is it the stereo? Does the OEM stero loose its abilty to supply sound to the front speakers over time? Is this common for the OEM stereo? What do you guys/gals think?
Thanks
Al

·
Registered
516 Posts
Iam having the same problem with the original radio, I like having the original radio, I also thought it was the conections, I have not had a chance to look at it yet,this gives me somthing to consider when I start doing the work......you know, just the other day I clicked on the intermed rear-wiper "somtimes it works" and "somtimes not" and one of the speakers came on :shock:
I also realized that the fog lights have allready been rewired, so I wounder if its a short cuircit or something.
I will have to wait :roll:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your right, an aftermarket radio has come down in price over the years. I just want to keep the car as original as possible. The OE radio seem like the center peice of the console. It's style fits the car. An aftermarket radio looks out of place (IMO).
I also don't realy listen to CDs too much. Just talk radio with an occation to classic rock.
Just find the on/off front driver speaker anoying.
Dzone, I'm with you. This is my second OE radio. The one that came with the car, both front speakers did not work. The second radio, I puchased from Ebay. But with the on/off problem.
Ive checke the speaker, harness, and wires. From the trouble shooting I've conducted, I conclude that its within the radio. This may force my had to go aftermarket. Wish they made a retro radio that will look good in a good looking 80's sports car.
Thanks for your input.
Al

·
Registered
290 Posts
I took my OEM radio and equalizer out about 2 days after I got my car. I think I remember all of the speakers cutting out intermitently when I had it in the car. Now it sits in my closet in the box that came with my CD player :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Hey All,

I had a simillar problem with my head unit. The equalizer was playing up... I got sick of it so i ended up getting a new head unit, speakers, amp and subwoofer...

I advise you to throw out the OEM head unit and go aftermarket... If you don't like the speakers, change it...

You will never go back (In my opinion).

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
This (the intermittent speakers) has happened to me on both the 85 Celica and the 86 MKII. I believe it is a rather normal occurance for the radio to have some glitches after 18-20 years. My Celica had the occassional speaker(s) cutting out then the tape deck began to act up, playing in one direction but not the other. The MKII had similar problems. I've since replaced everything in the Celica and am in the process of doing the same to the MKII. But those sort of responses haven't helped to answer your question.

It is possible to have the radio refurbished by Toyota. Take it to the dealership and they'll send it out to Denso, or whoever the manufacturer is, and do a complete overhaul of the electronics. Should be as good as new when finished. I BELIEVE it costs @ $75 to have the radio refurbished. Would definitely be worth atleast a phone call.

Then, after having the radio refurbished, invest a few bills into some new speakers. Even the cheapest of speakers will sound 100 times better than the stock tissue paper. A decent pair of 3.5 fronts could be found for around $30 and possibly the same for the rears. Even the cheapest of Sparkomatics, if they still make those, will sound better than the factory cups.

Turn up the radio.
Scott

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Hey All,

Does anyone know if it is possible to find the pin out off the old wire harness which converts to make the new Toyota Headunits compatible? I might be considering to go back to the Toyota and get a current CD player and tape deck put in my Supra. So i can remove the sub in the hatch and amp so i can drive around with the luggage cover removed...(And no one will steal the CD player because of it being Toyota OEM not aftermarket ie. Pioneer)

Cheers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts