Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having issues with brake calipers sticking so ordered new OEM replacement Raybestos Brake Calipers. It may be the Master Cylinder, diagnosing it now but I figured replacing 37 year old parts is a no brainer. Also wanted to paint the calipers and figured that to clean up on 37 year old calipers would take me more than $200 in labor ;)

Wanted to go for big brake upgrade, but I still like running the OEM 14 stock wheels once in a while, so ruled this out.

I got the calipers from Summit Racing as everywhere else seemed to be non existent. A1 Cardone listed them but could not get them until May. Hope these ship out in early March like they say.

Also ordered Raptor Racing's brake lines, speed bleeders, have to support the vendors on our Forum! Finished off the upgrade with new R1 Concepts slotted and drilled rotors. Looking forward to getting these all installed. I heard mixed reviews about the R1 Concepts products but decided to take chance as Powerstop does not do slotted and drilled that I could find for our cars. I just like this look better and with the 17" ROH Snypers on, you get a good glipse of the rotors. :cool:

·
Premium Member
6,067 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rebuild kits may be a LOT easier to find, if you have the tools and skill. They are actually pretty simple to do.
Did you check the NAPA site for calipers?
https://www.napaonline.com/en/search?text=calipers&q=N=2500003+2600313+2801962+10198400+5007000+200700030+2000000500&Nty=1&Score=1&referer=PLP&leftNav=leftNav
I didn't see caliper kits in stock, at that site. You may need a new piston or 2, also.
Thanks!
I do some work on my car, but stopping is pretty important so I leave that to someone else... My Mechanic will source the other parts if needed, i just wanted nice newly painted calipers!

·
Premium Member
6,067 Posts
Buy some caliper paint or RED for headers, High temp paint. Orange or yellow would be pretty sporty!
Your mechanic CAN rebuild the calipers, if he gets a kit. I've done a few.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE.
Summit Racing / Raybestos cancelled the order for both rear calipers. Said they are no longer available.
We may just send them back the fronts too and rebuild the oem.
This is the second time Summit lists parts available only to come back a week later and say, Nope. Sorry cant get them.

Reactions: ddd228

·
Super Moderator
8,493 Posts
That G2 stuff is hard to get a decent finish without brush strokes. Take them apart to rebuild them yourselves and get them powder coated if you want it to look nice. These calipers only have a single o-ring in them to replace.

Reactions: dbdaniel

·
Premium Member
6,067 Posts
Most calipers have ONE moving part: the piston. OK, there are slider pins. Internally just one square lip seal. I have seen where the chrome plating has flaked away and that is VERY bad news.
The phenolic pistons can get stick or cocked in the bore and are more heat tolerant, but the way to go is chrome-plated steel ones that expand with the same RATE at the caliper body.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts