Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6MGE with some oil leaks and it's showing low oil pressure, probably about 1/2-3/4 between L and half. I know the best thing to do is pull the engine and replace all the gaskets and seals of course, but I'm not in the position to do that at the moment. I've heard of guys running 10w30, 10w40, even 15w40 diesel oil and 20w50 etc. What oil out there would you recommend for my situation and maybe even help with the leaks a bit? It's stored in winter so it's only running in warm/hot weather. Previous owner used Castrol 10w30 but Im thinking of switching to a thicker oil to help the leaks and oil pressure, what do you guys think? I'll be doing the oil change within the next month since I'm putting the car back on the road in April or so. Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,688 Posts
Not a new question/issue but worth discussing. I run 10w/40 for 30+ years equals higher oil pressure at idle vs 10/30 plain and simple...

Your question I would fix the major leaks, heavy oil isnt really going to reduce the leaks a significant amount.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not a new question/issue but worth discussing. I run 10w/40 for 30+ years equals higher oil pressure at idle vs 10/30 plain and simple...

Your question I would fix the major leaks, heavy oil isnt really going to reduce the leaks a significant amount.
Yeah completely understand and Ive searched a lot too but just wanted situation specific answers since the other threads were general oil recommendations, not specific to a slightly leaky 6m with lower then mid oil pressure. I think i should be debating between 10w40 and 15w40. Definitely not going synthetic or anything.

·
Premium Member
7,688 Posts
15w40 is a diesel oil, probably has more Zinc or ZDDP for better lubrication...some belief 1000ppm of Zinc is desirable

I have used for yrs Redline 10/40 in the '86

AND Valvoline 10w/40 SynBlend high mileage as well

In my Truck 0w20 Amsoil

Both w Amsoil oil filters or Napa Gold filters

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
My tired 5 M had leaks and blow by. 15 W-50 helped with blow by and oil pressure,not leaks.I seldom change the filter because most of the oil runs back into the oil pan.Also,I don't like dry start-ups.I used to pull the EFI relay after an oil change but now I have a remote button to the starter.Just 4 seconds worth.That bleeds off the residual fuel pressure,so the engine doesn't run happily,after. KOEO helps with that.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My tired 5 M had leaks and blow by. 15 W-50 helped with blow by and oil pressure,not leaks.I seldom change the filter because most of the oil runs back into the oil pan.Also,I don't like dry start-ups.I used to pull the EFI relay after an oil change but now I have a remote button to the starter.Just 4 seconds worth.That bleeds off the residual fuel pressure,so the engine doesn't run happily,after. KOEO helps with that.
Yeah Im sure oil types wont really solve much of the leaks, im more concerned about what oil to use to help the oil pressure, not so much the leaks. So 15w50 helped with pressure? Good to know! Also, how much did your pressure increase?

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Idle,HOT was 15 PSI. Heavy-ass oil improved it,especially at idle,when hot. %? Ah,dunno.Maybe 10.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Idle,HOT was 15 PSI. Heavy-ass oil improved it,especially at idle,when hot. %? Ah,dunno.Maybe 10.
What was your needle at before and after switching to 15w50? I may go with 15w40 diesel oil since thats easy for me to obtain here

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 5 M's have LOW oil pressure when HOT,anyway. No need to use synthetic oil for you,anymore.
4 PSI!!!!!!
Yeah Im aware of the 5m/6m being a low pressure engine, but Im just looking at how my factory oil pressure needle on the dash is lower than the halfway mark. So since ill be doing my first oil change since ownership, I'm wondering if I should switch from Castrol 10w30 to something else like 10w40, 15w--, or something else. Or even castrol 10w30 high milegage. Just to get the pressure guage closer to half for satisfaction haha

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
It won't register above 1/4 @ idle. Heavy oil is better your your summer driving.
The high mileage is claiming to slow leaks down. Not sure ...HOW.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It won't register above 1/4 @ idle. Heavy oil is better your your summer driving.
The high mileage is claiming to slow leaks down. Not sure ...HOW.
Yeah itll only be driven is warm weather and contrary to popular belief, the summers in Canada get VERY hot in southern Ontario haha And yeah at idle thats true, but even during pulls, the needle never reaches halfway which Im assuming isnt normal? Thats why Im thinking about going thicker than 10w30 and see if it increases the pressure at all

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
NO,that is not normal.
See the TSRM link that I included. The regulator my need service.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Be aware that the goofy threads in the BLOCK are not NPT 1/8 " pipe threads! I learned that they are .. a BPST thread. No, BSTP thread. So is the tranny. Get a Toyota one. it's OK to use sealant or Teflon tape on those threads. ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There could also be a bad oil pressure sender. They were changed in 85 because of leaking issues.
yeah I actually just found out from the previous owner that he had hooked up an oil pressure test and the pressure was actually good, so now im leaning towards a pressure sender issue.
Be aware that the goofy threads in the BLOCK are not NPT 1/8 " pipe threads! I learned that they are .. a BPST thread. No, BSTP thread. So is the tranny. Get a Toyota one. it's OK to use sealant or Teflon tape on those threads. ;)
any chance you have a part number for it?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts