Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6MGE with some oil leaks and it's showing low oil pressure, probably about 1/2-3/4 between L and half. I know the best thing to do is pull the engine and replace all the gaskets and seals of course, but I'm not in the position to do that at the moment. I've heard of guys running 10w30, 10w40, even 15w40 diesel oil and 20w50 etc. What oil out there would you recommend for my situation and maybe even help with the leaks a bit? I live in Canada but don't drive it in the winter at all, so it's only running in warmer weather. Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Previous owner used Castrol 10w30 but Im thinking of switching to a thicker oil to help the leaks and oil pressure, what do you guys think? I'll be doing the oil change within the next month since I'm putting the car back on the road in April or so.

·
Registered
269 Posts
If you are showing low oil pressure, it is more likely some other problem than just leaks. Also, it is not necessary to pull the engine to change all the seals on the front. After removing the radiator, the most difficult part is getting that timing pully off, as it is tourqed to something like 150 lb-ft. While you are in there it would be smart to change the timing belt and tensioner as well. To get to the rear main crank seal you need to remove the tranny and clutch, but it can still be done without removing the engine. I am not sure how much good it would do to try heavier oil, but guess it would not really hurt. Hope someone with more experience in this area can chime in.....

·
Premium Member
5,881 Posts
My old and tired 5MGE ran 15W-50 in summer and it did raise the oil pressure. Had bad valve seals and mass oil leaks.
It's actually quite normal to see low oil pressure at idle, when warm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts