Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how you guys addressed the dipstick location issue when swapping in a 7M. The tube in the block is in the wrong place when changing to the 5M oil pan correct? So do you drill another hole and swap the tube or what? I think I saw something about using a Cressida dipstick somewhere but I don't see how that would change the "problem" with the 5M oil pan.

Thanks,

Joseph

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
You have to drill the new location on the block. The spot for the dipstick is still there in the front, just like the 5m, but it hasn't been drilled. Just seal up the old dipstick hole.

AFAIK, the cressida dipstick just repositions the dipstick for easier access. You still have to drill the new hole for it.

The 5m dipstick should still work, its just a PITA to check your oil, as it sits in a funky spot, and you have to bend it taking it out. This is what I experienced with my 5mgte. I have drilled the hole on my 7m but have not yet put it together, so I cant say this for sure.

Christian

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
You have it correct Racefiend.Doesn't matter what tube/stick combo you use "I use the 7m" you need to relocate it,and bend the tube to an accessable position.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will the level read correctly no matter which dipstick I use? Or do you have to modify the length? Also, how do you get the old tube out of the block? I was thinking once the old tube was out I'd just tap the hole, that way I could plug it with a bolt. How did you guys plug the old hole?

Thanks,

Joseph

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
As long as the dipstick and tube match each other,and the tube is seated all the way,you will be fine.
I use an allen head 3/8" long x ?? "have to check" screw and FIPG "Toyota silicone" and let the screw self tap.Only need a couple threads into the block.Be careful,as the block casting is a bit thin in that area,thats why I just thread enough to not leak w/sealant.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Well, not just ANY dipstick will work. Keep the original mk2 dipstick and tube handy. Compare the length from the base of the tube (where it mates to the block) to the level marks on the dipstick with whatever dipstick you use. THey need to be the same.

Christian

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Excuse me,my bad-5m or 7m will work.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
dip

i just use the 7m dipstick on my car. it was ez to fit in fact i forgot to check the length when i instaled it :lol: so i payed close attention when i added the first 5 pts of oil to see how the dip stick read. to my good craftsmanship it was perfect. after that i terned the motor over to see how wuch oil my oil cooler and filter held. then add the needed oil to top of.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Doesn't matter what tube/stick combo you use "I use the 7m" you need to relocate it,and bend the tube to an accessable position.

Shawn,
Sounds like you use the 7m Dipstick and tube, put it in the newly drilled hole on the 7m block (in the 5m position), and then bend the tube. And then you just bend the tube to aim the outlet. Please confirm:
7m dipstick and tube?
Where do you position the outlet?

AlanG[/quote]

·
Registered
15,018 Posts
i used the 7mgte dipstick. drilled a new hole in the 5m spot, then bent it up so it sticks up between the head and power steering reservoir. very easy to get too. then put some ultragray on a 12 or 14mm head bolt(long time ago) and used a ratchet to drive it all the way in. it basically tapped itself.
william

·
crashtest dummy
1,564 Posts
Joseph, There is no need to drill out another hole and do all of that - I have done 5+ GTE swaps and never did this to any of them. Just take your stock dip stick tube thats in the 7M and bend it forward... you'll need to cut a small opening in the oil baffle of the oil pan for the dip stick itself (so it can go down into the sump area)... and you're done. It takes some test fitting but it is quite easy. The entire dip stick set up then is just like a stock 7M and reads perfectly. If you checked out my 7M in the MKI or any of the other MKII's I did - they are all like this. I am bringing up a pan and tube already done like this for Mark and his GTE...

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Damn, Damon you should've been on here awhile ago :D. Mine's been done (old thread) but it's something to keep in mind for future swaps.
That was one of the most nervous things I had to do, drilling into my block like that.

·
crashtest dummy
1,564 Posts
white_mk_2 said:
Damn, Damon you should've been on here awhile ago :D. Mine's been done (old thread) but it's something to keep in mind for future swaps.
That was one of the most nervous things I had to do, drilling into my block like that.
Yeah - when first doing a 7M swap, just sat there looking at it and just couldnt believe that is what people were doing. After some thought and checking it out closer - I just did what I thought was best. All of the ones I have done havent had any issues.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
I'll stick with drilling the block :lol: I like my stuff to look like TOYOTA built it.

When Don C. did his originaly,the criteria was.....How would Toyota do it ? We have tried to keep that in mind as much as possible.Also,the thought was,can it all be done with Toyota parts ? Well,all parts but the oil filter relocation kit,came from a Toyota on the original conversions.We have gotten away from that now on the I/C piping,and a not much else.Hell,even the heat shield for the exhaust,atteched to the firewall,are factory parts.Not all Supra parts,but all Toyota parts :wink:
To the untained eye,and even many that know what they are looking at,a stock conversion,looks just that,stock.Have even had Toyota trained tech's not realise that it didn't come that way from the factory.Had a few guys believing it was a special edition :lol: that was shiiped in very low quantities :twisted: Even had all the sales guys at a dealership thinking a converted 2wd truck was a factory 7mgte truck 8)
My .05 <---- inflation.....for gas :wink:

·
crashtest dummy
1,564 Posts
Junkie said:
I'll stick with drilling the block :lol: I like my stuff to look like TOYOTA built it.

When Don C. did his originaly,the criteria was.....How would Toyota do it ? We have tried to keep that in mind as much as possible.Also,the thought was,can it all be done with Toyota parts ? Well,all parts but the oil filter relocation kit,came from a Toyota on the original conversions.We have gotten away from that now on the I/C piping,and a not much else.Hell,even the heat shield for the exhaust,atteched to the firewall,are factory parts.Not all Supra parts,but all Toyota parts :wink:
To the untained eye,and even many that know what they are looking at,a stock conversion,looks just that,stock.Have even had Toyota trained tech's not realise that it didn't come that way from the factory.Had a few guys believing it was a special edition :lol: that was shiiped in very low quantities :twisted: Even had all the sales guys at a dealership thinking a converted 2wd truck was a factory 7mgte truck 8)
Both ways work well - just think drilling the block is more work and has no benefit, and when done, the dipstick location is not at all ideal. I do completely agree w/ the idea of having it all look OEM and using Toyota parts through out; w/ the exception of using parts that are better in some way (such as the I/C, exhaust, MHG, ARP's, etc...). In general, w/ all the different swaps I have done, I try to make it look like a factory install. I also like to look what others have done (if its been done) to just get some ideas, but then see if there is another way to do it. Guys like Reg were great pioneers, but then you will always have guys who come along and improve the existing idea or just see a much, much better way to do things. Thats why I am such a huge fan of guys like Jim King w/ great ideas like his harness! I think alot of newbies dont appreciate how innovative his harness is... just ask any of the people who did the Reg harness - Jims harness being over $600 cheaper is only a small part of its greatness. For the most part - I think there are many ways to do something, and usually find that it comes down to 1-3 best ways; Deciding which way (depending on money, skills, time, etc..) is best is what everyone needs to figure out.

·
BIG BOSS HOSS
4,460 Posts
Junkie said:

Amen to that. :beer:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts