Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Get the oil and coolant lines from rabidchimp, the website has good instruction on how to install them.

·
3,283 Posts
is oil pan removal difficult on the 5m? I know on the 7m you pretty much have to pull the motor.
Well, the sump is different... than the MKIII. It's a little easier, but still a Royal PITA. You'll need an engine lift to lift the motor up off the mounts as high as you can get it, and then it's fight the pan out, the #1 cylinder counterbalance on the crank needs to be up (or at least not down)

Are you planning to plop a turbo on your 5m and hope for the best or do you have the other stuff to make it [more] reliable?

Don't be cheap either, get the Chimpy stuff... he's already done the engineering for you.

·
Founding Member
6,520 Posts
yes.

or if you want to make your own lines, run the oil supply from a t fitting off of the oil pressure sending unit, and the return to a large bung welded into the oil pan.
But just to be clear, as its been discussed before, do not use the oil cooler return fitting on the side of the pan (some non-US model 5m engines came equipped with oil coolers, thats why its there, sealed with a plug) as it is too small. A large volume of oil must be able to flow freely from the turbo bearings just like it does from the crankshaft bearings. You don't want oil to back up in the return line and fill the turbo housing or you'll get smoke in the exhaust, coking and premature bearing failure. Suggested a 3/4" diameter drain hose and fittings just like Toyota engineers put on the 7mgte. I.e. you'll need to weld your own fitting to the pan above the oil level line.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
The lines I got from the chimp were pretty decent but the feed line was waaaaayyy too long. Not sure if that has been changed/corrected but may want to check first--not a big deal, just unecessary and makes things a little sloppier/messier than if they were appropriate length. I removed the pan and had the fitting welded on with brass to make a nice smooth seal.

I too hope you have a plan for this, as I started out with a perfect 82 and perfect 5m, only to end up with headaches, lots of time spent in research/trial and error, and in the end, a failed project and big hole in my #1 piston. Got about 1 or 2 days of boost after many nights of typing and tinkering.

Not too many 5mgtes out there that have happy owners and are relaible, let alone fast.
Go 7m and be done and happy.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ehh, i built a 500whp 7m in the past. It was fun, i just want to try something different. Im not to familiar with the 5m's but ill learn fast. I have 255lph pump, 440cc injectors (might be too big tho) AFPR. IDK if my safc can tune on the 5m maf tho. If not ill find something else to tune with. If i wanted to do a motor swap i would. I have a 7m, 2jz, 13b, and a ls motor i could put into it if i wanted to.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
If i wanted to do a motor swap i would.
I like this attitude. I had so many people bash me for wanting to go 5mgte. I just wanted to be different, get a substantial power bump over stock and have fun.

I managed to do it for dang cheap. And I am super happy with it.

So what if this wont be a 4 or 5 hundred whp monster. It is a blast to drive and I still love it.

If I want to step up, I will go stand alone, or motor swap. Stand alone would probably be cheaper as I already have all the stuff for this motor to be turboed.

Keep Going man, just search around and you will find some pretty good information.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
6,133 Posts
. IDK if my safc can tune on the 5m maf tho. If not ill find something else to tune with.
The key point, so often glossed over. Ask Scott how many times he has posted threads with titles like "Still running rich." Dont expect to be able to tune for anything other than WOT, without a standalone. Not a slam, Scott, just the truth, which this community has learned by blowin Shit up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts