Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the part number for the genuine toyota oil filter of an 84? Should be the same as other years, but I don't know them either. Can't find the number in my TSRM or owners manual. I've got one, but I'd rather not find out halfway through it's the wrong kind. This one's number is 90915-03002. I was pretty confident until I found websites that give me conflicting information.

Any help would be greatly appriciated!

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
New # is 90915-YZZB1. You can buy a case of 10 for $39 from toyotaguys.com .

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Raven,

From looking at the spare Toyota Oil Filters that I have at home, I can pretty much promise you that they sold you the wrong filter, unless it's supposed to be a slightly bigger capacity filter, like the Lexus filter...

The "OLD" number filters that I have at home are Part#'s 08922-02011. The new Part# that Aaron Ingles listed (90915-YZZB1) is also perfectly fine, BUT... From I've now discovered, not all regions of the US have moved to the newer filter. Some are using the newer Part#'s while others are still on the old Part#. Just about every Toyota dealer in the greater Seattle area is still on the older Part#. So depending on where you live, will depend on which filter the dealers are selling.

In regards to the filter you have, is it a genuine filter in the red box w/ the Toyota label???? AND!!!!! On the box, does it list the engine applications on it???? On the old filters, the box does say that this filter can be used for all of the M series motors. I believe that the newer Part# should list the same. What does it say on the box for the filter that you have?????

Still have your receipt??? Return this filter & exchange it for the correct one.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Chris, can we infer from what you said that all M series motors in fact can interchange filters freely?

·
Registered
151 Posts
well to say at least... allmost all 6 cylinder motor has the B1 which Aaron I. stated which is the new part number
trucks are the only exception of having this B1 filter on the four cylinder truck motors and the Previa has this filet too

while the A2 (cant remember the numbers) is a smaller filer for the 4 cylinders like the S engines, A series and other small four cylinders on the Toyota clan of cars

exceptions to the A2 filet is the four cylinder ZZ engines that still has the same diameter filter but has a longer filter due to bigger needs of oiling filtration which designates to a A1 fliter

and Bob... all M series motors and even V6 Toyota motors a re interchangeable filter even with the JZ engines :wink:

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Oh Bob, thanks for trying make my brain function at 0200 in the AM. :p

Anywho, with the Toyota filters, the answers should be yes. With other non Toyota filters.... Don't take my word for it. :shock:

From what it says on the box (for 08922-02011) this filter works on the following applications:

1G series.
M series.
VZ series.
JZ series.
3S-GTE (for the ST165 Celica only).
22R series (Japan, Europe, US & Canada).
2TZ-FE.

Perhaps Aaron can tell us the engine applications listed on the box for the new Part#???

HTH..

·
Registered
151 Posts
actually I think there is no application guide on the new toyota filet box... but I jsut cannot speak for everybody right... I am not the perfect person at all

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
New # substitutes the old # so the application list is the same. Basically it fits all the larger engines. Their is a smaller one that fits the Corollas, Celicas, Echo, Matrix etc. I also believe there is a seperate larger one for the Tundra. I kinda like the old one better myself. The new one doesn't like to come of easily if you do the old 3/4s of a turn past contact. I've had to cut it down to 1/4 of a turn so that I ever have a chance of getting it off. The can is also fractionally smaller as well, and the end cap wrench is down a size or two from the old one.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I ended up tryung to use the filter anyhow... and it fits, screws in, and everything. It's really close to the size of the old filter (although I have not taken the tape measurer to it) and the only real difference is a tiny variation in the hole pattern. I turn the engine on, and....

It works! So, yeah, it's good. BTW, it's a genuine toyota filter, but turth be told, it's a VERY old one. It came with the car when I got it back in '96. The writing was faded off on part of the side of the box, the one with all the information I needed. But for future reference to all, you engine will NOT blow up when using filter #90915-03002. :)

As far as non-toyota filters... I'd never use 'em. Heard they were alot lower in quality.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts