Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So right now my GTE is coming along fine,
but I put the oil filter relocation kit on and then it hit me !
Why cant i just take it all off and use a regular oil filter without the relocation kit? I mean take the stock one off so it can clear the mounts then find a filter that will fit (basically filter to bare block) no relocation kit used... just like the 7mge NA?

any of yall find good reason as to ehy this cannot be done?
I understand we need to use a relocation kit to clear the mounts but cant we get rid of the relocation kit completly?
but the 7mgte block is pretty much the same as the 7m NA block.

Clinton

·
Premium Member
5,600 Posts
BTDT. It's a mess when you do your LOF

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Scott I already did that and really dont mind it! it is not bad at all actually, and
on the bright side I can always get it from the bottom.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Ehh...to each their own.

Relocation kits can be had for cheap, are easy to install, and its pretty awesome to be able to change the oil filter in the matter of seconds.

I would put one on a stock car after having on one my turbo car.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did like the convience but i hate the stupid grey tubing!!!!!

·
Registered
622 Posts
It kind of goes with the whole fuel filter relocation, when you reuse the 5m mounts you will more than likely mount the filter in the stock location but why? It is such a pain having limited access, so it would be an investment in time saving when doing a relocation on these two filters.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dylan
the Fuel filer does not have to be relocate but i didnt like it
so i cut the banjo end off at the motor then i ran 3/8 hose with c clamps
to the motor side the i cut the other banjo fiting of at the end of the fuel filter asnd clamped it off there
then i relocate the fuel filter to the strut tower
it came out really nicely and wont blow off
i highly recoment it
lmk if you need pics

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I used the Stock 90* adapter and turned it a bit so the filter point forward, enough to clear the mount. Makes it easy to change the filter, and I hooked up a stock oil cooler using it. Although the way I have it, I don't think the PS pump would fit, or it would be really tight.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i picked up the stud and installed just wanted a cleaner block

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Ehh...to each their own.

Relocation kits can be had for cheap, are easy to install, and its pretty awesome to be able to change the oil filter in the matter of seconds.

I would put one on a stock car after having on one my turbo car.
I second this motion, they should come standard on all cars IMO

·
Registered
511 Posts
I also get rid of my oil relocation kit, just less chance for leaks and a cleaner engine bay, I put less than 5k miles annual so taking off the IC pipe to change the filter once a year is not a big deal.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
I daily drive my car and have to change my oil every 6 or 7 weeks and dont wanna have to take off my lower IC pipe every time. Specially after having such an issue with it leaking with the custom piping, I got the pipe clamped on and only take it off when neccesarry.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well robert it will work since a 6m is a 7m block

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Better to use the kit. You can use the fancy AN fittings and braided hose if you are worried about leaks. Also lets you easily install a full flow oil cooler which is especially important if the turbo you are using is not water cooled. And being a le to fit a very large oil filter is a big plus.

·
is awesome
2,736 Posts
Better to use the kit. You can use the fancy AN fittings and braided hose if you are worried about leaks. Also lets you easily install a full flow oil cooler which is especially important if the turbo you are using is not water cooled. And being a le to fit a very large oil filter is a big plus.
Amen brother. I'm running two of the larger 90915-YZZD3 (as opposed to the smaller D1) filters, and I have my PermaCool dual filter remote located where the stock AC pump would have been on the 7M. It's a LOT easier. Just jack up the car from the left, behind the front left tire, lets it drain better, and gives me perfect access to the filters.

The ONLY downside is I have YET to figure out how to purge my oil system of pressure... even after sitting overnight (I tried ONE cold oil change just to see) it still had enough pressure to piss all down the filters as soon as I got them spun loose. It could also have something to do with the fact that my oil filters are pretty much the lowest point on the oil system, short of oil pump pickup.

As for leaks... I feel your paranoia there. I have a handful of small oil leaks, but I have pretty much narrowed it down to all the locations that AREN'T using AN fittings. All the AN fittings (-10AN = 5/8") are good. I think it's seeping oil from where my mechanical Oil Temp is bung'd into the back of the Oil Filter location. Figured it was smarter to see what my oil temps were coming out of the engine, not what they were going into the engine. One way it tells me what the engine is doing, the other way it tells me what the cooling system is doing (Oil Cooling that is). Honestly I'd love to be able to see the difference between the two.

I would NEVER want to attempt an oil change with the stock 7M-GTE elbow and all my nightmare of oil feed, turbo outlet, PS pump bullshit all in the way. Good luck and more power to you though.:ugh:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts