Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!, not that it's relevant anymore since my mkII is in supra heaven now, but the 5mge wouldn't accecpt the stock oil filter (threads didn't match) nor would it take the oem spec oil pressure sending unit. fortunately, i found that the fram racing filter fit great and the sending unit wasn't bad. but does anyone have an idea why these were different?
Thanks,
Joey

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I've always used the Toyota black oil filter on my car. They have the check valve in them like the Amsoil filters do and they seem to work fine. I figure there's no point in changing if I don't need to.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Weird.... Maybe just a fluke???

Both my 85 5MGE & my 81 5ME take the stock Toyota oil filters. No problems.

·
Registered
15,090 Posts
99% of all oil filters regarless of manufactur have the check valve in them. only if the specific car it was designed for(air cooled vw's etc..) couldnt have one was it left out. and an fyi, the fram ph8a for a 5.0 mustang fits perfect with no issues unless youve converted to turbo. its a bigger filter so more filter area for less of a pressure drop and also itll hold a little more oil. been using this filter for a long while now. figured you all would like to know.
william

·
Registered
124 Posts
oil filter

williamb82 said:
99% of all oil filters regarless of manufactur have the check valve in them. only if the specific car it was designed for(air cooled vw's etc..) couldnt have one was it left out. and an fyi, the fram ph8a for a 5.0 mustang fits perfect with no issues unless youve converted to turbo. its a bigger filter so more filter area for less of a pressure drop and also itll hold a little more oil. been using this filter for a long while now. figured you all would like to know.
william
Personally I don't care for Fram filters. I used to use them but don't anymore. You might want to check out this link
http://www.minimopar.net/oilfilterstudy.html
and then decide for yourself.
Juan

·
Registered
15,090 Posts
thats a good link. from what he has listed, i would get the purolator premium plus filter. be sure to get it for a ford 5.0l v8 if your car is n/a. its a bigger filter, but the thread size and pitch are the same as well as the sealing ring. it fits perfect.
william

1 - 6 of 6 Posts