Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to take advantage of my BHG situation to replace my leaking oil pan gasket. I used a cork one when I did the rebuild but it only lasted a few thousand miles before leaking (I did user RTY also but it is breaking apart). When I asked the dealer for one they said that the 85 Supra did not use an oil pan gasket and that I should just use RTV. Usually I do not second guess the dealer but I thought I would see if anyone else out there has heard the same info.

Thanx
Mark

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have used silicone gasket on mine, worked fine. I also worked as a mechanic for a Toyota dealership and when we did anything that required a new oil pan gasket we used "blue poop". Which is what I'musing again as I reseal the motor...replacing all gaskets. Now if I could just get a posotive answer for what a "reverse poppet" is....

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
in my white mk2 it looks like they just put in a bunch of Black RVT looks like crap and it leaks like a MOFO :mad: im taking the engine out cuz the head, camshaft housing and the carter is leaking. (getting the head redone soon) :evil:

i also put the cork one on my Black mk2 and it leaks a bit after long drives. where can i get some of this BLUE POOP and does it work good? and where can i get a Silicone gasket for the oil pan to seal and not leak?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sorry the "blue poop" is the silicone. Thats just what we called it at the dealership. You can get it at any auto parts store. I'm not sure if there is a difference in color, I have seen black, blue, and clear. I have only used tyhe blue. I will read teh bottle and post what it says when I get home. Brand and things of that nature.

·
Registered
733 Posts
The gray stuff is what you want. FIPG, form in place gasket. It is not the std silicone blue sh#t. Any auto parts store will have it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ok the brand name is Permatex. Sensor-Safe Blue RTV Silicone Gasket Maker. Item #81854 (6LA) Reading the label it just says not to use it for headgaskets (obviously) and parts in contact with gasoline. I haven't had a problem yet.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
i always just use black RTV/silicone shit that my toyota dealership sells, works pretty good, if your careful with it you can make a pretty good gasket w/o making a very big mess. I even once used it as a thermostat housing gasket but forgot to put enough on the bottom....whoops...then i wondered what all that green stuff was on the ground....haha

·
Registered
151 Posts
well believe me they are all the same get the one for the 85 and boly everything up but get the FIPK black silicone from Toyota about 17-20 bucks and put it on the spots where the front timing cover intersect with the block and also for the rear main

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I too used the pan gasket that came from felpro oncee (the first time) on my pan. It leaked right away. I then used the toyota black stuff, and never had a leak again. I've also used it on some 4age's and they too never had a leak. I learned to use it from my buddy who was a mechanic at Toyota dealer. Thats all they used. It's good stuff.

Christian

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Use the blue silly cone silicone. Be sure to take a few extra minutes and thoroughly clean both seating surfaces. Use a putty knife or similar to scrape off the heavy stuff. Then use gasoline or laquer thinner to remove any and ALL oily residue. Completely dry and you're good to go.

Slicker than a wet weasel on a linoleum disco floor.
Scott

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
I tried to buy an OE oil pan gasket from my Toyota dealer in NJ a couple years ago for my (Mikes) 84. I had to go back 3 times. Each time it was ordered for me, a 22R gasket wld arrive in the plastic baggie labelled for the correct 5MGE part#. After the third visit, my parts guy just handed me a tube of the FIPG stuff and said have a nice day.

:mad: :roll:

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
well last night i came from school and put on my grease monkey machanic clothes and took out the engine (getting the head redone also due to major oil leaks on camshaft housing). the oil pan had some kind of black crap all around it. looks like they did a shity ass job the long sides of the oil pan had some big ass gaps making it leak a shit load. i think im gonna go with the Blue poop.

well thanks for the help

·
Registered
290 Posts
Wow am I glad this topic got posted. I'm gonna be replacing my oil pump soon since I got a brand new one off E-bay for $35 :shock: and I don't plan on ever taking the oil pan off again after this.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Im a mechanic at a Toyota dealership and i use the FIPG stuff all the time for oil pan reseal. I hate the stuff. its really messy and if you don't use it right then it wont wok. Cork gaskets are better in my opinion. Just as long as you install them dry. NO rtv or any sealers.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Atl_Racer said:
Im a mechanic at a Toyota dealership and i use the FIPG stuff all the time for oil pan reseal. I hate the stuff. its really messy and if you don't use it right then it wont wok. Cork gaskets are better in my opinion. Just as long as you install them dry. NO rtv or any sealers.
This is my 3rd brand new cork gasket.. I cleaned the crap outta both sides .. torqed everything perfect.. always starts out not leaking but after 20k miles or so they all start leaking.. No way will I use cork again..

I have anew one for sale... cheap!! you want it!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts