Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking I am in need of an oil pan for my '85 5m. There is an oil leak I noticed at work today, and I'm thinking it's coming from the oil pan gasket, but I gotta check for sure. One thing's for certain though, that oil pan is FUBAR. It looks like someone dropped the car onto a rock. Yikes! Anyway, how hard is it (haven't ever been under a Supra) to replace the oil pan? Is it a simple unscrew and drop, or is the suspension in the way, or anything else? I need an oil change anyway, and would like to do a 2 in 1 project if possible. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Suspension is in the way & pan will not clear/get past the oil pump pickup. Not a simple unscrew & drop. You will need to lift the motor up a couple inches... Or drop the crossmember.

BTW, the 85 5MGE does not have a oil pan gasket, it uses FIPG (form in place gasket). Gooey/squishy stuff that comes out of a tube.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How hard is it to drop the crossmember? I hate asking all these rookie questions, but I have no idea what a Supra looks like underneath, especially not mine. All I know is, the head gasket is back in, it runs, and I'm happy. Well, I'll be happier when the oil pan goo is replaced, along with the pan itself. Thanks again! Oh yeah, is this a special goo or just a normal goo?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Easiest way to change out pans is to pull motor mounts and lift engine with hoist. I've been there.
Get the sealer at your local Toyota store

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I'll look into it while I'm replacing the water pump that blew up today... *sigh*... Anyway, another project is going to be underway soon, thanks for the input and help.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
just smile and know itll all be worth it when shes running and happy again :)

i know, aint i a ray of sunshine....

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and it's what both you guys said. I will be a lot more knowing than before by Christmas, and she will be happy when she's running again. Having that said, I must go and prepare for the weekend ahead of me. Hopefully I'll be able to get my parts this weekend, and mayhaps have her running later next week. I'll keep ya posted when there's news!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts