Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Founding Member
6,409 Posts
Nope. 82-83 were ~1/2 inch shallower than the 84-85 oil pans. Oil pump pickups were different too.

Phil D.

·
BIG BOSS HOSS
4,460 Posts
pdupler said:
Nope. 82-83 were ~1/2 inch shallower than the 84-85 oil pans. Oil pump pickups were different too.

Phil D.
I have a 7/84 pan it's shallower than my '85 pans. The pumps are not the same either. If you swap to the deeper '85-'86 pan then you will need the '85-'86 oil pump.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Wish I had visited this and/or other mk2 sites before swapping my '85 5m for the 6m. Then I might have known why the oil pan wouldn't suck up to the block. Turns out the pulled engine must have been earlier than 85 as it had the shallow 82-mid 84 pan. A major headache b/4 getting it right!

BTW Broadway Toyota parts man gave me the whole story including part numbers for the short pump/shallow pan and the later long pump/deep pan. They also still have new pans in stock along with pumps.

·
Registered
351 Posts
so then..........
let's say that I have an '83 5M-GE, and I'm thinking of swapping in a 7M-GTE. Will I be able to use my oil pan? Or will I need a different year?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Sam,

The reason for swapping oil pans (and oil pump) when doing a 6m into an 82-86 (85.5) is because the 6m sump is right where the mk2 cross member is therefore won't fit. As far as the need to swap the oil pan on a 7m into a mk2 I don't know. Probably best asked on the "Engine" page.

Greg W

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Yup. As long as you use both your pan and pump, then cool. If you use an 84+ pan you need an 84+ pump. But you can't use the 7m pan.

Christian

so then..........
let's say that I have an '83 5M-GE, and I'm thinking of swapping in a 7M-GTE. Will I be able to use my oil pan? Or will I need a different year

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
What would happen if you have a 6M with the shallower oil pan? would it cause you to have low oil pressure?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Nope. Oil pressure is dependent on many factors, none related to the depth on the pan. Unless of course you try to put together a shallow pan with the longer pump meant for the deeper pan in which case the pump pickup screen will bottom out on the bottom of the pan and restrict oil flow, not to mention the huge leaks you'll get from not being able to get the pan to seat on the block rails
Only thing a shallow pan does is limit the total amount of oil carried.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts