Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· BIG BOSS HOSS
4,435 Posts
The '85-'92 pumps all have the same displacement. They are infact the same pump except for the pickup feed and exterior changes.

I'd take the 7mgte pump back (if you can) and get a '85 pump to save your self some headaches with fabricating a custom pickup tube down the road.

The '82 to '84 pumps have smaller pump gears and the pans are not as deep as the '85+. I think where the whole 7m vs 5m pump difference debate started with Reg comparing his '82 pump to the 7mgte pump.

Go with the '85 pump and pan if you can.

-wt

· BIG BOSS HOSS
4,435 Posts
Yes sir they are not the same. The oil pump out of my '84 is smaller that the of the '85 and of course the gears are shorter (less displacement). Check with Toyota on that one because the pumps/pans are NOT the same.

On a side note, I'm using a 7mgte pump in my '85 with a custom pickup tube. It took about 4 hours of cutting a scribing on the stock tube to create a pickup that would fit the '85 pan. Add $25 for a welder to piece it together.

Good luck,
wt

· BIG BOSS HOSS
4,435 Posts
"Racefiend"

As far as the discussion on the mk2 list, I remember that one. One of the members (cant remember who) said his dad is a machinist and they pulled both apart and measured everything and they were identical internally. You musta missed that one.

Christian

lol, that was my dad and me. We took everything apart and mic'd the gears. The pump gears are interchangeable but the 7m drive shaft bearing is larger than that of the '85 5m. This probably gives the 7m longer pump life. IMO, the '85+ 5m pump might actually flow better because of the straight pickup tube while the 7m has a longer, snakey crush bent style, pickup tube. The flow of the 7m might be compromised somewhat by those crush bends and longer snorkle. I have pictures of both pumps disassembled side by side.

On a side note, I've seen the pressure guage read slightly better a different 7mgte MKII running a '85 pump compared to my '85 7mgte w/ the 7mgte pump. I ran the 7mgte pump because mine was almost new and for me it was cheaper to make a custom pickup tube.

About the shimming, I'd be very carefull when doing this. That valve acts much like a wastegate on a turbo and it's there for a reason. If you exceed the recommended oil pressure your engine will start blowing seals which = oil leaks. It only takes a few pounds over the limits of what your seals can handle before they start going. I know I wouldn't want to replace the crank seal over jury-rigged shim-job, not to mention having to pull the pan to de-shim the pump. :shock:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.