Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quite a huge concern for me & possibly the reason I ran the bearings on my motor to begin with. I have done a bit of research & to be honest, much of it is a bit beyond me. This only came up today when I was reading a few random threads. On my car, I am not even sure what pump was originally used before the rebuild, my 5M pump, or the 7M pump that came with the motor. All I know is the mechanic that did the rebuild told me that when he removed the oil pan (5M obviously), it seemed that the bottom end(the strainer portion?) of the pump had been touching the oil pan, because the pan was dented. Then it turned out that the pump itself was scored & needed replacing. I bought another pump, which the spares place called a Jap pump, & I think it was a 7M pump. When we tried to fit it, it was too long, so we took off the bottom half (once again the strainer portion?) of the old pump & fitted it to the new pump, because it was shorter. Problem solved..............or not!!! Looking at the threads I did today & I must confess that I have seen this before, printed it & gave it to the mechanic, it occured to me that this could be the reason for running the bearings!!! I don't know what I have in the car now, & is it absolutely neccessary to cut & rotate the pickup? URGENT feedback PLEASE!!!

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
you need and 85 5mge oil pump (dont shim it, this my opinion from experience). or you can use a 7mgte oil pump with modification to fit in your oil pan, the 85 pump will work just fine. if your oil pan is dented fix it or replace it with and 85 oil pan.

if your bearings are getting ruined it because theyre not getting lube from a partially block pick up at the pump screen or its bad fitment when it was assembled or bad machining, ie to much or not enough clearance between the bearing and the journal.. HTH

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
you need and 85 5mge oil pump (dont shim it, this my opinion from experience). or you can use a 7mgte oil pump with modification to fit in your oil pan, the 85 pump will work just fine. if your oil pan is dented fix it or replace it with and 85 oil pan.

if your bearings are getting ruined it because theyre not getting lube from a partially block pick up at the pump screen or its bad fitment when it was assembled or bad machining, ie to much or not enough clearance between the bearing and the journal.. HTH
^^Exactly

I ran into this dilemma when I did my 7m swap, run an 85+ pump (this is what I did and have NO problems!), it's supposibly has taller gears, etc, and can pump enough oil to be efficient. OR you can cut the 7m sump in two places, rotate and reweld. BUT if there is even the smallest hole you're going to lose oil pressure and there goes a freshly rebuilt motor!

Good luck!

Tony

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
7m's are a low pressure high volume engine..you dont need alot of oil pressure. mine is around 45-50psi on intitial start up and after it warms up it can be as low as 10psi at idle. i have a AEM digital oil pressure guage

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the pickup on the 7M pump would be too long to fit right? Just to reiterate, I did change the pump during the rebuild, but I'm pretty sure it was a 7m pump that I bought, not an original Toyota pump, but an aftermarket 'Jap' pump as they called it. When we tried to fit it, the pickup was too long, so we used the top half of the new pump, & the pickup from the old pump. Will this be fine?

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
its hard to tell from your description what is going on with your pump in the pan. i hope someone else can chime in here and help you out. but this is some old info for you to readif you havent yet.

http://forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?t=27940

people have modded the 7m pump to fit the 5m pan with the cut and rotate and weld mod. you need to make sure its in the front of the pan submerged in oil, and of course make sure you check you oil often.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its hard to tell from your description what is going on with your pump in the pan. i hope someone else can chime in here and help you out. but this is some old info for you to readif you havent yet.

http://forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?t=27940

people have modded the 7m pump to fit the 5m pan with the cut and rotate and weld mod. you need to make sure its in the front of the pan submerged in oil, and of course make sure you check you oil often.
Thanks for the link. My car is an 84, so I guess I had the revised pan & pump? The bottom line is that it did fit, how much of tolerance between the bottom of the pan & the pickup????????? I am going to locate another 5M oil pan, which will be off a Cressida, & have it modified to a baffle sump. Reasonably cheap to do, around $60, excluding the pan. When I do that, I will make certain that the oil pump is clear enough & the pickup is submerged.

·
Super Moderator
8,567 Posts
5M 85 oil pump are better or it just an urban myth?

supposed to have taller gear it's not eought when you plan to put some HP ..
It's true, take it apart yourself and find out. The internal gears are the same size as a 7MGTE pump. If you have a European car with a stock oil cooler you probably already the later oil pump

1 - 10 of 10 Posts